Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Geocoding Data
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I am wondering if anyone has had success geocoding your data using a freely available source via DataMigrator. I am interested in the approach you took and the provider you may have used.

To throw a monkey wrench into it I am looking for Canadian based addresses as I work for a provincial ministry (US addresses have no relevence, outside of perhaps being a good example)

Thanks in advance

WebFOCUS 8201M/Windows Platform

posted Hide Post
quote:
To throw a monkey wrench into it I am looking for Canadian based addresses as I work for a provincial ministry (US addresses have no relevence ...)

My! How "provincial" of you. Smiler My address has a lot of relevence to me! I always thought it was just the US citizens who were ego-centric. Wink

I am sorry to say other than being a smart-aleck I can offer no helpful input.

------
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, right, right.

iWay 5.6
Windows
Excel, Tab-delimited, XML

Posts: 23 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 27, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You could use google maps geocode api:

First make a masterfile (GEO in this case) of the xml google uses. To make the masterfile just save this output

http://maps.google.com/maps/ge...+View,+CA&output=kml and create a masterfile with dmc or the webconsole.

Now you need to make a procedure which gets the data from the Google geocode api, in this case we feed country, city and address to Google:

-SET &GMREQUEST = 'http://maps.google.com/maps/geo?q='||&COUNTRY.EVAL ||'+'||&CITY.EVAL||'+'||&ADDRESS.EVAL'&'||'output=kml'||'&'||'key=<you google key here>';

FILEDEF GEO HTTP &GMREQUEST
-RUN
TABLE FILE GEO
PRINT COORDINATES
ON TABLE HOLD AS GEOCODE FORMAT ALPHA
END   

This will retrieve 1 set of coordinates, you'll have to create a loop to get coordinates for multiple addresses. I believe there is a limit of 5000 records a day for this free service.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

We implemented the solution as suggested. But got the following error when it executing it.

(FOC358) ERROR ISSUING FILEDEF COMMAND FOR: filedef uat_test/geo HTTP http://maps.google.com/maps/geo?q=.....

0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 1 LINES= 1
No data was returned by the server

Any idea what may go wrong? Also, when we create the geo synonym, are we supposed to create a XML SYNONYM with File system first?

Thanks

Cokey

iWay 5.5, 6.01
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Cokey,

You could try this to check if it's working:

-SET &GMREQUEST = 'http://maps.google.com/maps/geo?q=1600+Amphitheatre+Parkway,+Mountain+View,+CA&ouput=kml';

FILEDEF GEO HTTP &GMREQUEST
-RUN
TABLE FILE GEO
PRINT COORDINATES
ON TABLE HOLD AS GEOCODE FORMAT ALPHA
END   

Check the syntax Google needs to provide you coordinates.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post