Focal Point
File Listener not starting automatically when files are placed

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/1327018416

December 28, 2011, 12:34 AM
Ramanathan
File Listener not starting automatically when files are placed
Hi All,

I have to load sql server table from a .csv file and used the source as Delimited Flat file and gave Data - Origin as Listener under Data Allocation properties of the source.

When I place the .csv file in the directory mentioned under Data Allocation properties, the Data flow not starting automatically. But if I click submit, the data flow executes successfully.

Please let me know how to start the data flow as soon as the .csv file placed in the directory.

WebFOCUS 7.7, iWay Data Migrator, Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML
January 04, 2012, 02:18 PM
Clif
You have to start the flow with the scheduler. Then it sits and waits, checking periodically (as you specify in the source file synonym) for file(s) to arrive until some limit (again, as specified in the synonym) is reached.

This gives you a lot of flexibility:

For example if you are expecting a single file at the close of business you might schedule the flow to run at 5:00 pm and wait for 1 file, and perhaps send an email message when it arrives.

Or if you were expecting a lot files, you would schedule the flow to run continuously, with no limit on files or timeout.

N/A
January 04, 2012, 11:53 PM
Ramanathan
Hi Clif,

Thanks for your reply. My flow should be depend only on the .csv file and not on scheduler. Is this can be done without scheduler?

WebFOCUS 7.7, iWay Data Migrator, Windows
Excel, PDF, HTML
January 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
Clif
The flow must be running (idling really) in order to "listen" for the csv file to arrive. So you could schedule it to run every day for 24 hours.

In 7.7.04 you'll be able to schedule a flow to start when the server starts.

N/A