Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    Data Migrator Logs - Where are they stored?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Data Migrator Logs - Where are they stored?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I would like to know where Data Migrator Logs are stored?

When I right-click a task and select "View Log", the date selection pop-up window never pops up - I cancel the request because it takes too long.

Is there a location where every execution of a task has its own log file, or is there one big log file?

I'd like to delete old logs to speed up the date selection pop-up window.

This is for IWAY 533 DataMigrator Server.

Thank you,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It's one big log file and there is a 2gb limit. Unless you done something different with your installation, the big log file is typically stored in ibi/srv##/dm/catalog and it's called etllog.foc. Even if it's not full, when it gets large, the retrievals can be very slow. I've noticed that once mine gets over 1 gb, it starts to get slow. Note: I am working on 7.1 now.

Something else to note: The information for each job is written to what I call a "buffer" file. Maybe not technically correct, but that's what I call it. When the job is done, it's then written to the big log file. If the big log file is full, the little files "wait". So when the big log file fills up, you don't get an error or anything... you just don't get logs. Depending on how long it's been since the log filled up, you could have so many little "buffer" files that when you recreate the log, all the little buffer files fill up the log again. You could end up having to recreate the log file several times before you finally get everything cleared out. How do I know this? Been there, done that. :-) And it was on 5.3 too.

Good luck.

Jessica Bottone

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jessica Bottone,

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Francis, in release 533 DataMigrator does not have the Log and Statistics management at Data Management Console. In order to clean or create a new (better for your situation) “Log and Statistics”, you need to go Web Console --> Procedures --> DM Utilities [...].

You mentioned “date selection pop-up window“ when “right-click a task”. The date selection will come up from the Reports of Logs and Statistics.

Please notice, that the physical location of the files for ETL log and statistics is rather in a catalog under “dm” folder, e.g. ibi/srv##/dm##/catalog/. However, ETL log and statistics files ought to be managed via DM utilities – not manually.

Thanks.
Marina Shamailova

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have been updating the thread on the WebFOCUS forum as it is a little more active than the iWay Products forum: Data Migrator Logs - Where are they stored?

Thanks very much to Jessica and Marina.

I have one more question: the logs are stored in FOCUS databases, but the Data Flows are individual etg and fex files. It appears we can't join to another table to get names to the Data Flows in the log. I do see the Impact Analysis DM Reports that somehow report on task information, how is this done?

Thank you,

Francis.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I responded to your post under the WebFocus forum but I'll respond again here too. :-)

I've never used the impact analysis reports so I can't say how they work. I would be surprised to hear they work off the logs since the logs only contain information on what has been run since the last time the log was recreated, and there could be many more .fex and .etg files. However, I can tell you this - the log files have an associated etllog.mas. And from that, you can report on it. For me, the .MAS is located in ibi/srv##/home/catalog. Take a look at it, display out some of the data and see if maybe it has what you're looking for.

Regards,

Jessica Bottone

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows