Focal Point Banner
Community Center Education Summit Technical Support User Groups
Let's Get Social!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn IB Bloggers
Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [CLOSED] Flow keeps Self-Referencing Output Fields
Go
New
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
[CLOSED] Flow keeps Self-Referencing Output Fields
 Login/Join
 
Master
posted
I'm working a job for data quality analysis where I need to copy 10% of the records from a DB2 data source to and "identical" structure in SQL*Server. This is thousands of fields across hundreds of tables.

So I've created very simple transforms that move DB2's Field_1 into SQL*Server's Field_1, DB2's Field_2 into SQL*Server's Field_2, etc.

Here's the thing. About one out of every 100 fields don't copy, because Data Migrator sees the name Field_1 and interprets it to mean SQL*Server's Field_1 instead of DB2's Field_1. It self-references the target field instead of taking the field of the same name from the source, and the result is that the field doesn't fill.

I fix this by aliasing the field coming from the source so that the names are no longer the same, but when you're doing hundreds of tables and thousands of fields this makes the process of creating the load far more tedious and time-consuming, and not doing it means you have to test and review every table and field.

Is there a button I can check somewhere that says "hide the target fields" when doing the data assignment?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,



 
Posts: 837 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
What release of DataMigrator are you using?

Please open a hottrack case and supply source and target synonyms and data flow so that hotline can review and reproduce your problem.
 
Posts: 325 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I'm dealing with it in 81M at the moment, but this has occurred from 7.7 forward if my recollection is correct. I address it when it occurs by adding an alias to the inbound data fields, generally appending "incoming_" to the field name.

Sorry, but I can't provide source code where you can duplicate the problem because I can't provide you the data. It's not a consistent problem by any means.



 
Posts: 837 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [CLOSED] Flow keeps Self-Referencing Output Fields

Copyright © 1996-2017 Information Builders, leaders in enterprise business intelligence.