Focal Point
Left Outer Join on Multiple Fields

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/1681067331

December 16, 2003, 04:04 AM
andrew w
Left Outer Join on Multiple Fields
G'Day,

We're using iWay ETL 5.1.2 extracting data from DB2/400 via ODBC.

My question is:

Is there a limitation on the number of join fields that can be used in a left outer join?

The reason I ask is that I have attempted this using 3 join fields with no success (although an inner join works using the three fields) but if I concatenate the three fields into one (defining a field in the source) then the left outer join seems to work fine.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Andrew W
December 16, 2003, 02:59 PM
Jake Freivald
One of the product managers just tried to repro the problem and wasn't able to do so. Outer joins on multiple (three, specifically) fields was working in ETL Manager 5.1 on his machine just a few minutes ago, with a few different configurations (APT, non-APT, etc.) just to be sure there wasn't anything we missed.

His advice is this: "There must be something ELSE going on. Could you suggest they open a hottrack call, provide the ETL request, masters and access files, and most importantly the exact error message." The exact message should be in the log, and it's never a bad thing to have the whole log available, too. Have you opened a case already?

Regards,
Jake Freivald
Director
iWay Software

Thanks,
Jake
December 16, 2003, 08:08 PM
andrew w
Thanks,

Will raise case with the local IBI office.

Cheers

Andrew W