Focal Point
[CLOSED] Do we can Create a Flow with a File Listener Source for COBOL files ?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/1777006586

February 21, 2017, 10:30 AM
mayur
[CLOSED] Do we can Create a Flow with a File Listener Source for COBOL files ?
Hi All,

Do we can Create a Flow with a File Listener Source for COBOL files ?
We are currently have flows that handles COBOL data as a source . Now I wanted to create file listener flow for those to automate the process as COBOL data file appears in directory. If any one can guide on it ....I tried with File Listener source steps given in Data Migrator guide but it did not worked for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
February 23, 2017, 11:24 AM
Clif
Sure, you can use Fixed Format files as a data source when using the File Listener.

The only place where COBOL comes into play is that you can use the COBOL FD that describes the file layout (you'll need a local file for that) to create a synonym. You can add the usual File Listener parameters and create a Direct Load flow using it as a source.

If you need further assistance please open a Hottrack case and provide the COBOL FD, synonym, and flow.

N/A
February 24, 2017, 09:32 AM
mayur
Thanks ..Clif .....But if you can share steps for it it would be great .....because when I m trying to create Flat file synonym its asking for COBOL FD ...and I do not have it ...so I cant go further...

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs
February 24, 2017, 10:02 AM
Clif
For a fixed format file you need to specify the record layout in the synonym. The easiest way to do that is if you have a COBOL FD. The Create Synonym process can use that information to automatically create the synonym.

If you don't have a COBOL FD you still need to know the record layout: how long each field is and the data type. Then you can create the synonym manually.

In either case, please open a hottrack case. Hotline then can take you through the steps.

N/A
February 24, 2017, 10:06 AM
mayur
Thanks clif....I try to do that n if not found comfortable then open a hottrack case .....

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs