Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    COBOL OCCURS DEPENDING ON in transformer tool

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
COBOL OCCURS DEPENDING ON in transformer tool
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,
I need to define a COBOL input structure in the transformer tool that has a number of OCCURS DEPENDING ON clauses in it.

I've asked the sending system if they can flatten the structure, but that will
result in a massive input document, with most elements blank/empty, which they
don't want to do.

Is it possible to define a CDF or FIXED WIDTH input structure that will cater
for the repeating groups, occuring x number of times depending on another field
in the input structure?

Any tips or good ideas appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Ade

iWay 5.5 SMSP1 and 6.0.1 on Intel/Linux

Posts: 59 | Location: Birmingham, Blighty | Registered: October 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Adeh,
I have successfully used the COBOL-To-FOCUS translator (CTF) to define all types of files (VSAM, IMS, sequential) for many years - yes I am an oldie but goodie Smiler

The file structure does not have to be flatten, just include the entire COBOL description as input into the translator. The CTF knows how to handle nested descriptions with different field layouts. This will give you a pretty good MASTER. You will probably have to tweak it but CTF will supply an excellent starting point and save you hours of time.

There is documentation in the 'COBOL FD Translator Users Manual and Installation Guide'. I believe this used to be contained within the 'Power Book' documentation but I might be wrong.

If all else fails - open a ticket with IBI and the FOCUS group will help you.

Good Luck,
Michelle

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi, a subject for an old guy
If the Occuring variable "segment" in the end of the record :
Occurs = Variable is ok ( The end of the record will tell Focus that this Occurs is Finished)
ALIAS=ORDER ( the last Field of the Occurring Segment is purely Virtual : Focus deliver the Rank of the Occurring Child).
If the Number of Occurrences is a real (Numeric) field preceding the Occuring Segment,
Let's say DIMSEG field, then OCCURS=DIMSEG will be all right
Cordially and Focusely
FILE=CILL310B ,SUFFIX=FIX
SEGNAME=THEPAPA ,SEGTYPE=S03
FIELDNAME =AP_APP_NOM , ,A8 ,A08 ,$
FIELDNAME =AP_OWNER , ,A8 ,A08 ,$
FIELDNAME =AP_REQ_NOM , ,A8 ,A08 ,$
FIELDNAME =IND_REQUETE , ,I04 ,I04 ,$
FIELDNAME =AP_REQ_DESC , ,A50 ,A52 ,$
$
SEGNAME=PSEUFILS,PARENT=THEPAPA,OCCURS=VARIABLE,$
FIELDNAME =CAR_FILS , ,A001, A001,$
FIELDNAME =IND_FILS ,ORDER ,I008, I004,$
**************************** Bottom of Data ************************

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Michelle and Baillecl,
Thanks loads for the tips, I appreciate that you have made the effort to reply very much.

Unfortunately, I'm using iWay, not WebFOCUS Frowner

Got to say, FOCUS does sound easier to define this COBOL file in though!

Thanks again,
Ade.

Posts: 59 | Location: Birmingham, Blighty | Registered: October 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI - there is a copy of FOCUS running under the covers within iWay that contains the CTF. CTF use to only be available via EDA (a.k.a. iWay) for years.

Check with IBI to see how you can access the CTF within iWay.

Have fun!
Michelle

WebFOCUS Production: UNIX 7.7.03M
WebFOCUS Test: UNIX EDASERVE 7.7.05 Client 8.0.01

Posts: 28 | Location: Connecticut USA | Registered: August 29, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
AdeH,

Never say "unfortunetly" I'm using iWay, not WebFOCUS. :-)

Endre

WebFocus 7.6.8
iWay Data Migrator 7.6.8
PMF 5.1

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Thanks again for the answers, I've raised a case with IB asking if we can use the CTF translator. I'll update if I find anything positive.

AdeH.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Well I asked the question, and got the answer that "unfortunately" iSM does not include a copy of FOCUS Smiler

I've been pointed at the CICS Preparser, which it appears, can handle OCCURS DEPENDING ON...

More trial and error to come!