Focal Point
Running Windows .cmd as pre-extract procedure in ETL

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/2341039931

December 01, 2005, 09:42 AM
Clint
Running Windows .cmd as pre-extract procedure in ETL
I am needing to run a process written as a Windows command file (cmd) prior to having an ETL request do its work. I added the cmd file as a pre-extract procedure in the ETL request. When run, it appears to be treated as an FEX procedure based upon the errors received.

My questions are whether a) it is possible to run a Windows cmd file as a procedure within an ETL request and b) if not possible, where can I find documentation that contains the FEX commands so that I can translate the cmd functionality to an FEX procedure.

Actually, I would like to know about the documentation regardless of whether I can use the cmd or not.

Regards, Clint
December 01, 2005, 03:31 PM
<DocServices>
Hi Clint,

A Project Manager suggested that you try using Dialogue Manager. You can find information on Dialogue Manager in the following manual:

Developing Reporting Applications Version 7.1 (DN4500696.0905)
Developing Reporting Applications Version 5.3 (DN4500578.0904)

You can view and/or download these manuals from the i-Base: The Technical Documentation Library.

If you have an InfoResponse ID, login on the Tech Support web site and then access i-Base. By logging in first, you can download the PDF file and/or view the HTMLHelp version.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jennifer
April 04, 2006, 08:30 AM
newtofocus
Clint,

Did you find answer to your question?. I am looking to do the same in a unix environment. Please let me know if you found the answer.

Thanks.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM
April 06, 2006, 10:03 AM
Clint
It has been quite a while since I worked on this, so I'm not exactly sure whether the following is correct. However, it may be enough to point you in the right direction.

The key is that all of the ETL procedures need to be FEX procedures. I created one with the following. Of course the locations and file names will differ for you, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

-DOS D:\ibi\apps\etl_trecs\tgt_telecheck_detail.cmd
-RUN

As I recall, this did work, but as I said it has been quite a few months since then. We never did put that ETL into production, and I have a lot of different things I tried, so I'm not 100% sure if this is the right one.

Good luck!

Clint