Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [Solved] Loading Data From An Email Attachment

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Loading Data From An Email Attachment
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'm knocking this around a couple of different ways, but the heart of what I'm dealing with is a need to load data from email attachments.

So I have Outlook 2016 receiving automated emails with file attachments containing the data I need.

What's the best way to get at the attachment? In theory Outlook can peel it off to a specific directory, but there are complications --

-- Outlook is a client tool that would presumably sit on an unattended machine, which I don't think will start up at reboot.

-- I need to be able to "Run a Script" in a rule. I think I can do that with a Registry edit, likely won't be popular with my client. Outlook doesn't allow you to run a script by default, out of security concerns.

Does I-Way/Data Migrator provide a direct connection to incoming emails with attachments? Or does it depend on another tool to serve up the attachment in a neater package? Sounds like it should be a master file of some sort if it can do it itself, but I haven't been able to find anything like that in the documentation or in the synonym builder.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
By the way I'll mention that this is presumably an unmonitored machine. That is, this process would require that no one has logged onto the machine to start Outlook. The access to the email attachments would require that Outlook not be running on the machine. Is this in iWay's reach?

Guru
posted Hide Post
As you probably know DataMigrator has a File Listener that can process files as they appear in a directory or [S]FTP server. Is it possible to send files using something other than email?

Also why do you think Outlook is a requirement to read the incoming email messages? Couldn't any email client be used?

As it happens we have an email listener used for some internal processes. Although we haven't done so it is possible we could make a product out of it if we better understood your requirements.

What format are the attachments? csv or xlsx? Or are the docx, pdf, pptx? Assuming the former are they all in the same format? Same layout? Is it predefined? Is the target table predefined?

If this is something you want to pursue please open a case with hotline.

N/A

Posts: 397 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 03, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Yeah, email is a part of the requirements that I'm locked into. I'm interfacing with another product with very limited options.

I posted on an email gurus message board and got a product named Automatic Email Manager 7 that appears to provide a way to save email attachments to a folder. That is more or less the hard part of this solution, what remains is to hoover up that file and process it. Easy-peasy.

I thought I had heard that iWay could peel off email attachments, but at $200 for a perennial license on the product above I think it's definitely the way to go. It can interface with an Exchange server and can run as a Service on the platform, so I'm in a good place now.

Thanks for the response.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

I have implemented a solution using iWay SM listening to a Exchange Server using POP3. The attached csv files are saved separately and imported into the database for a later step.

If you are interested, I can show you some snapshot of my solution.

Cokey

iWay 5.5, 6.01
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)