Focal Point
ETL - Performance Question regarding SAP to FOCUS

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/3031083172

February 13, 2008, 02:12 AM
VHayward
ETL - Performance Question regarding SAP to FOCUS
Dear people,

This question is troubling me for ages ... and could be tested of course, but maybe someone has the experience here.

I am currently working on an ETL proces.
It's about getting 8 million SAP records to a FOCUS file the quickest way using Data Migrator.

What would be the best way also knowing that filters, defines and computes could be used regarding tranforming the data.

1) SAP -> FOCUS with defines & filters
2) SAP -> FOCUS with computes & filters
3) SAP -> FLAT with filters BUT without defines, computes, then FLAT -> FOCUS with defines and computes
4) .... you come up with a suggestion ....

WebFocus 7.6.2
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
February 13, 2008, 08:57 AM
Jessica Bottone
I'm not all that familiar with SAP so please forgive me for may seem to be a stupid question. What type of databases is the SAP data stored in? If it's not RDBMS, you can stop reading here. :-) If it is RDBMS, then it will really depend on exactly what your defines, computes and filters are. For any that can be passed over to the RDBMS engine, I would include them on the extract from SAP. I would also do all of this in a Data Migrator stored procedure, hold the results in a hold file, then apply the remaining defines/computes/filters against the first hold file and create a second hold file. The second hold file can then be used as the 'source' in a data flow to load your Focus database target. And XFocus might actually be a better option for your target, if you get a choice on the type of database the target is. I have a document on how to do this in a stored procedure and pull the results of the stored prcoedure back into a data flow. If you'll send me your email address, I'll be happy to forward it to you.

Good Luck.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows
February 13, 2008, 10:07 AM
PBrightwell
It has been a while since I did any SAP work, but generally speaking Defines will add more time than computes. Now as to option #3, it depends on the speed of the server. If the FOCUS files are on the same server as SAP then you won't see significant difference between that and option #2. If they are on different servers do the computes/defines on the faster server.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes