Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    ETL - Performance Question regarding SAP to FOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ETL - Performance Question regarding SAP to FOCUS
 Login/Join

posted
Dear people,

This question is troubling me for ages ... and could be tested of course, but maybe someone has the experience here.

I am currently working on an ETL proces.
It's about getting 8 million SAP records to a FOCUS file the quickest way using Data Migrator.

What would be the best way also knowing that filters, defines and computes could be used regarding tranforming the data.

1) SAP -> FOCUS with defines & filters
2) SAP -> FOCUS with computes & filters
3) SAP -> FLAT with filters BUT without defines, computes, then FLAT -> FOCUS with defines and computes
4) .... you come up with a suggestion ....

WebFocus 7.6.2
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not all that familiar with SAP so please forgive me for may seem to be a stupid question. What type of databases is the SAP data stored in? If it's not RDBMS, you can stop reading here. :-) If it is RDBMS, then it will really depend on exactly what your defines, computes and filters are. For any that can be passed over to the RDBMS engine, I would include them on the extract from SAP. I would also do all of this in a Data Migrator stored procedure, hold the results in a hold file, then apply the remaining defines/computes/filters against the first hold file and create a second hold file. The second hold file can then be used as the 'source' in a data flow to load your Focus database target. And XFocus might actually be a better option for your target, if you get a choice on the type of database the target is. I have a document on how to do this in a stored procedure and pull the results of the stored prcoedure back into a data flow. If you'll send me your email address, I'll be happy to forward it to you.

Good Luck.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Master
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I did any SAP work, but generally speaking Defines will add more time than computes. Now as to option #3, it depends on the speed of the server. If the FOCUS files are on the same server as SAP then you won't see significant difference between that and option #2. If they are on different servers do the computes/defines on the faster server.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post