Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [CASE-OPENED] DB2 bulkload converts empty strings into null value

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] DB2 bulkload converts empty strings into null value
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
In DB2 (and other SQL databases I know) there is a clear difference between a CHAR field with empty string '' value and null (missing) value.
When using DB2 bulkload however data from the source is first put in a tab-delimited file on the DM server which uses unquoted strings, so there is no difference between the 2 values anymore.
This means an empty string in the source data is being loaded as a null value in the target, which is not the same as the source value.
Unfortunately I also have VARCHAR fields in the DB2 target table defined with NOT NULL, so I get errors on those records and they are rejected in the load, while the empty string should be accepted.

The problem seems to be that the intermediate tab-delimited file uses unqouted strings, if it uses quoted strings it would not cause this problem.

Is there some setting that DM will use quoted strings in the intermediate tab-delimited file for the bulkload?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

<Kathryn Henning>
posted
Hi Martin,

This looks like it's going to require some research, so I'd like to recommend opening a case on InfoResponse Online.

Regards,

Kathryn

Report This Post