Focal Point
Data Migrator -- Why Does Field Order Make It Break?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/3971008372

February 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
John_Edwards
Data Migrator -- Why Does Field Order Make It Break?
I am coding a pretty big chunk of fields from one table to another, and I need to manage the null entries very carefully. I have devised transforms that do this, but they seem to function differently depending on where they come in the list. Some only work if they're one of the first fields in the flow. Can anybody explain why this is?

This is causing me more than a bit of trouble, as I am having to manage ordering carefully to keep all of them running correctly.

None of these fields seem to have any commonality, so if anyone can tell me what to look for so that I can get my ordering correct I would greatly appreciate it.

J.

February 28, 2008, 01:17 PM
John_Edwards
Stet -- apparently this effect is only in the preview function on the Data Migrator tool. All fields map correctly when an actual run occurs.

Never mind!

February 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
Clif
I'm sorry you found this confusing; Test Transforms just simulates the load. (For you FOCUS programmers it does so with TABLE while the load is usually a MODIFY).
If you see this inconsistenty just with columns for which you ommitted a transformation, you can avoid it by explicitly setting those columns to the value MISSING. In older releases that may turn the columns red, but as long as the column is in fact nullable it should work.

N/A