Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [CLOSED] NE / OR not working correctly in SQL PREPARE?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] NE / OR not working correctly in SQL PREPARE?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

Triggered by a customer question on wrong results I found a strange behaviour in expressions using NE in combination with OR.

I have a flow with source transformations which produces following code:

LOAD MASTER dwhdb/kvk_vestiging 
EX -lines 3 EDAPUT MASTER,dwhdb/kvk_vestiging,A,MEM, 
DEFINE EENMANSZAAK/I6=IF RECHTSVORMCODE EQ '01' OR '02' THEN 1 ELSE 0; $ 
DEFINE BV_OF_NV/I6=IF  RECHTSVORMCODE NE '01' OR '02' OR '70' OR '71' OR '72' OR '73' OR '74' OR '88' OR '89' AND  VESTIGINGSNUMMER GT 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0; $ 

-RUN 

SQL PREPARE SQLIN FROM 
SELECT 
   SUM(T1.EENMANSZAAK ) , 
   SUM(T1.BV_OF_NV ) 
FROM 
   dwhdb.kvk_vestiging T1 

After turning on SQL traces I found out that BV_OF_NV is translated as follows:
SUM((CASE WHEN ("T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '01' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '02' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '70' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '71' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '72' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '73' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '74' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '88' OR "T1"."RECHTSVORMCODE" <> '89') AND "T1"."VESTIGINGSNUMMER" > 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)) AS "BV_OF_NV"

This does not seem correct to me.
If I make a similar request in the Reporting Server, like this:

DEFINE FILE KVK_VESTIGING
EENMANSZAAK/I6=IF RECHTSVORMCODE EQ '01' OR '02' THEN 1 ELSE 0;
BV_OF_NV/I6=IF  RECHTSVORMCODE NE '01' OR '02' OR '70' OR '71' OR '72' OR '73' OR '74' OR '88' OR '89'     AND  VESTIGINGSNUMMER GT 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0;
END

TABLE FILE KVK_VESTIGING
SUM
EENMANSZAAK
BV_OF_NV
END

If I put SQL traces on I get the following SQL translation:
SUM((CASE WHEN ((T1."RECHTSVORMCODE" NOT IN('01', '02', '70', '71', '72', '73', '74', '88', '89')) AND (T1."VESTIGINGSNUMMER" > 0)) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END))

This is what I indeed also expected in the DM flow.
Is there a reasonable explanation for the different behaviour, or is this a bug (in iDM)?
I tested this in 7.7.06M version, and I used a DB2 source table.

Martin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Don't you want AND with NE?

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 (Someday 8)
Windows 7, All Outputs
In Focus since 1983.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

Using NE with AND gives an error.
Actually I do not mind if it is NE+OR or NE+AND as long as it works everywhere in the same way.

Now, if I have a DEFINE in WebFOCUS:
TEST/I1 = IF FIELDA NE 'A' OR 'B' THEN 1 ELSE 0;

this is translated correctly by the Reporting Server into SQL:
CASE WHEN FIELDA NOT IN ('A','B') THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

If I use this same definition however as a source transformation in Data Management Console the same translates into SQL as:
CASE WHEN FIELDA <> 'A' OR FIELDA <> 'B' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

At least in 7706M with DB2 adapter.
Has anyone else tested this with other versions or DBMS?

As a workaround I have modified the source transformation into
IF NOT FIELDA IN ('A','B') THEN 1 ELSE 0
, which works fine.

Martin.

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

Master
posted Hide Post
About the error. I think you need to specify what the synonym is, not just the field.

Your scenario with the OR..
DEFINE FILE CAR
TEST/I1=IF CAR.BODY.SEATS NE 1 OR 2 THEN 1 ELSE 0;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
     CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
     CAR.COMP.CAR
     CAR.BODY.TEST
     CAR.BODY.SEATS
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = IBFS:/EDA/EDASERVE/_EDAHOME/ETC/endeflt.sty,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

The results:

COUNTRY		CAR		TEST	SEATS
ENGLAND		JAGUAR		0	2
ENGLAND		JAGUAR		1	5
ENGLAND		JENSEN		1	4
ENGLAND		TRIUMPH		0	2
JAPAN		DATSUN		1	4
JAPAN		TOYOTA		1	4
ITALY		ALFA ROMEO	1	4
ITALY		ALFA ROMEO	0	2
ITALY		ALFA ROMEO	0	2
ITALY		MASERATI	0	2
W GERMANY	AUDI		1	5
W GERMANY	BMW		1	5
W GERMANY	BMW		1	4
W GERMANY	BMW		1	5
W GERMANY	BMW		1	5
W GERMANY	BMW		1	5
W GERMANY	BMW		1	5
FRANCE		PEUGEOT		1	5

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Master
posted Hide Post
I've been coding the FOCUS language for 30 years and I have NEVER used OR with NE. Maybe it is my math background, because mathematically, using OR with NE will never result in a TRUE condition. In the days before the WHERE clause I did:
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT ....
IF SEATS NE 1
IF SEATS NE 2

Even in a DEFINE I would do:
TEST/I1=SEATS NE 1 AND SEATS NE 2;

With the advent of the WHERE clause I always do the following in DEFINE and in TABLE
WHERE NOT SEATS IN (1,2)

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I'm not disputing your logic as I agree, I'm only helping him with his error. With that being said, I was a bit surprised in the results.

To me, this should of returned a 1 for TEST, but maybe IBI is doing some weird logic in the background.
COUNTRY		CAR		TEST	SEATS
ENGLAND		JAGUAR		0	2

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOAD MASTER dwhdb/kvk_vestiging
EX -lines 3 EDAPUT MASTER,dwhdb/kvk_vestiging,A,MEM,
DEFINE EENMANSZAAK/I6=IF RECHTSVORMCODE EQ '01' OR '02' THEN 1 ELSE 0; $
DEFINE BV_OF_NV/I6=IF RECHTSVORMCODE NE '01' OR '02' OR '70' OR '71' OR '72' OR '73' OR '74' OR '88' OR '89' AND VESTIGINGSNUMMER GT 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0; $

Took me a minute to realize you were appending the two defines to the in-memory copy of kvk_vestiging.mas.

It could be that the mix of AND and OR is confusing the parser. Before turning to a more radical revision, I would try it with the RHS expression in the second DEFINE fully parenthesized:

IF  (RECHTSVORMCODE NE '01' OR '02' OR '70' OR '71' OR '72' OR '73' OR '74' OR '88' OR '89') AND  (VESTIGINGSNUMMER GT 0) THEN 1 ELSE 0;

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post