Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [SOLVED] Update in an Auto-Increment Key Table

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Update in an Auto-Increment Key Table
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I have an auto-increment table that I'd like to write to in an insert/update fashion.

I have a Data Migrator flow that left-outer-joins the destination table to the source table, so that I can capture the ID of the destination table. I

I pass all my fields from the source table across, and I'm sending the ID field from the destination table as well, which is either an integer (on a match in the join) or a null (on no match in the join).

I can't figure out how to make this run as an insert/update flow. How do I get the database to either a) update the existing record when the keys match; or b) insert when there is no key?

If I try to assign the ID SQL*Server throws and error.* If I don't assign the ID I get duplicate inserts of the same information.

* 07/09/2019 16:20:39 MVGBIBITWF1 (FOC1377) UPDATE OR DELETE FOR KEYS=0 NOT SUPPORTED FOR SUFFIX : SQLMSS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You can't a assign a value to a column in MS SQL Server described as autoincrement. Not even a value of NULL, which in this case is not the same thing as not assigning a value.

If there is some other column(s) in your target table that uniquely identify the row you could use the Slowly Changing Dimension support to identify that column(s) as the logical key(s), the autoincrement column as the surrogate key, and the other columns as Type I.

N/A

Posts: 397 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 03, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you could point me to an example I would appreciate it.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
In the DataMigrator Users Guide see the section "Generating a Surrogate Key Using Slowly Changing Dimensions" and the section "SCD Type." For your purpose ignore the "Type II" and change flags.

Alternatively, create the DataMigrator tutorials for Star Schema and look at any of the dimension tables.

N/A

Posts: 397 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 03, 2007Report This Post