Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    Oldie but (still ?) Goodie ... How to Use a trace Facility in EDA

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Oldie but (still ?) Goodie ... How to Use a trace Facility in EDA
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Bonjour,
I'm a Focus Guy since long and know plenty of things about Focus through the ages
But I'm new around Developper Studio (Which I call Focus Six for Windows ...) and EDA EDA V716(Turning on IBM, MVS : my world - and I call EDA : MSO )

My point is to find an equivalent to ECHO = ON, or ECHO =ALL to trace the activity of the EDA Started task on MVS
(I have the status of Normal Informatician, thus, no Access to IBI Console)

I can Trace Things with SET TRACEON , OFF, USER but I get an enormous amount of Information that overwhelms me
I got the result of SET TRACEON=? and was taken aback by the number of possibilities ...
Could someone understand my need for help Building on my intimate knowledge of this Good Old Focus to Reach the new possibilities of the 3-legged animal...
Cordialement
PS : I Fall in Time Out so not much get back from EDA, and I hate to use a tool that I cannot oblige to put his cards on the Table
(On the other hand : 98 887 cards are a bit too many)

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The good old days of MSO. If you want to trace the code execution.

-SET &ECHO = ON;

You don't see it though if you have a report that 'pops up'. Will do so in report caster if you ask for the on error to be always (don't have it open so it may not be the word always, and have a full notice sent.

You might have wanted this to be posted to the focus formum, much more activity there.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for answering
Where does EDA write what would be in SYSPRINT in a fossilized world ?
(Especially when a Time Out Occurs)
And TRACEON seem also full of potentiality, but I lack Tips to use it efficiently

I Change to Forum Focus, as you think it's a better place

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11

Master
posted Hide Post
Baillecl

Believe me, I feel your pain. Going to WebFOCUS from a FOCUS takes time to adjust.

A couple of questions.

When you say you have no access to the IBI Console, do you mean the Reporting Server Console? You can't get to it from Dev Studio?

When you say time out, are you referring to the browser timing out? If so, have you tried adjusting the browser timeout settings in the registry?

What type of output are you trying to get? (i.e. Excel, PDF, etc.). Sometimes Excel can take forever to download to the browser. Are you producing a report or is this just a data manipulation batch job?

Our environment is Linux. We mirgrated to WebFOCUS from FOCUS for HP-UX. Using documentation from IBI's website, I developed a script for running WebFOCUS in batch mode. In WebFOCUS I have a fex that contains a line/lines like this:
-UNIX /home/eda/yifex.sh yi640
-UNIX /home/eda/yifex.sh yi600

where yi640 and yi600 are .fex in the APP PATH. yifex.sh is a script, kind of like a DOS .bat file.

This method saves all the old-time messages that would be in SYSPRINT and saves them to a file with a name of fexname.rundate. The output file names from the above would be yi640.20080205 and yi600.20080205. I have another fex that runs weekly that deletes these message files if they are more than a month old.

If you or anyone else is interested, I can post them here. You may be able to adapt them to your environment.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
John,

I am interested in your yifex.sh utility. Could you post the shell script code?

Regards,

-- Dan

WebFOCUS 8.8.05M (Prod)/8.0.09(Sandbox) Windows

Posts: 56 | Location: Omaha, Ne USA | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I missed your answer (I Went to Focus Forum only ...)
I think that I'm gonna meet the responsibles of the Product on my Site. I need to refresh my knowledge : Most of the Words have changed ...
The realities have less changed than the marketing stuff buzzing around Focus. But I need to move into the market not to be taken for an old Fool.
That's what I'll try to do to finish decently my "career..."
Apart from your technical information (And, yes, Please post the Script)I felt some warmth in your message. And thanks for it
Cordialement and Focusly
PS : My (EXEC) Code detected something wrong under MVS (The Usage of &RETCODE that's perfect under TSO but should be changed to &FOCERRNUM under EDA)
This Error drove me to UTCODRET that -QUIT FOCUS (Not in TSO). It did not stop the EDA started task but it simply informed me that things were going wrong.
With a decent Focus tracing, I should have seen that in a minute. With all this distance between me and the real world, it took me much more time (And an occasion to discover that EDA was running with &FOCMODE = MSO, such a brilliant Private joke -this sense of humor that makes me love Focus-)

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11