Focal Point
(Solved) Unable to retrieve log files on some processes.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/56510346

March 30, 2009, 09:45 AM
Dawn
(Solved) Unable to retrieve log files on some processes.
I get the following message when I try to retrieve log files on certain processes. It does not happen on all processes. Any help or suggestions would be appreciates. Thanks.

03/30/2009 08:26:32 EDASERVE (FOC541) SU. CENTRAL DATABASE MACHINE ERROR: S_REQ_NAME
03/30/2009 08:26:32 EDASERVE (FOC236) LINKED FILE DOES NOT HAVE A MATCHING KEY FIELD OR SEGMENT: S_REQ_NAME
03/30/2009 08:26:32 EDASERVE BYPASSING TO END OF COMMAND
03/30/2009 08:26:32 EDASERVE No log information for this request.
03/30/2009 08:26:32 EDASERVE DataMigrator Report "allocation_staging_table_load1" successfully retrieved from server.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dawn,
March 31, 2009, 10:38 AM
Clif
Here are two suggestions assuming you are running DataMigrator 7.6.

It's possible that the FDS server isn't running. On the Web Console go to Workspace> Configuration, Special Services > right click FDS and if Start is an option select it.

It's also possible that ETLLOG has grown too large. On the Web Console go to Procedures> DataMigrator Utilities > Manage Log and Statistics > Recreate

N/A
March 31, 2009, 11:01 AM
Dawn
I started the FDS server and recreated the log file. After reruning the process I was able to get a log. Thank you!

We regularly recreate our log so I suspect it was the FDS server. But is there any way to lower the log level so the log file does not fill up so fast?
April 01, 2009, 09:55 AM
Clif
Well that would depend on what the log is filling up with. Here's an article I recently wrote on the subject.

DataMigrator writes logs from the scheduler and flows that are run. Each record of ETLLOG is 250 bytes, and a typical log for a flow that loads a small number of rows doesn't get any errors adds about 30 records to log file.

At that rate you should be able to run over 200,000 DataMigrator flows before the log files up.

So what does fill up the log?

N/A
April 03, 2009, 04:30 PM
Dawn
Thank you for your help. I will share this info with my associates.
July 23, 2010, 08:36 AM
Ian Dalton
We are having the same issues and errors as Dawn experienced above. We have recreated ETLLOG & ETLSTATS and restarted FDS but it keeps saying 'failed to start' as soon as we run a flow. Also the event viewer on the server says 'Faulting application hlisnk.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.4455, fault address 0x00011952.'
Any suggestions ????

August 04, 2010, 07:38 AM
Ian Dalton
Refer to case that I opened.....
Case: 61892543
Summary: FDS Keeps Stopping

We think too may APP MAP commnands and " marks around some directories didn't help plus the order of users in admin.cfg.

We have got his working now but are none the wiser as to what did the trick !! Scary stuff....

August 05, 2010, 10:28 AM
Clif
The edaprint that was uploaded to the hottrack case has the mesage "ETLLOG field DATE not found." Could you check there is no ettlog.mas in your app path and recreate the log and statistics tables.

The edaprint also shows that the server app path has 144 application directores that the scheduler is scanning. While some are empty a few have over a hundred flows. A long app path will slow processing somewhat. It might help to reduce the number of application directories in the server's application path.

N/A
August 09, 2010, 04:37 AM
Ian Dalton
Thanks Cliff for the suggestions etc. We have checked there are no rogue masters (there weren't) and have reduced the list of app map commands and voila - all ok - nothing documented on this though. We will watch and see what happens - hopefully now all OK.

May 21, 2014, 10:09 AM
John_Edwards
I need to bookmark this thread. I come back to it about once every six months.

December 20, 2019, 10:29 AM
John_Edwards
Alright, a follow-up a decade later. I want MORE messages in my log. In particular I want the final commit message -- Commit forced at: 34880 for 34880 row(s) for every table in a big long run so that I can see the final tally. For big tables that gets cropped. So I created a procedure before the flow that did this --

SET DBMSMSGLIMIT=1000

. . . and that didn't seem to change the default from 20. Presumably there's a setting somewhere now that we're up to version 8.2?

That's all I can find in the manual and these forums, and a global search for "=20" in the ibi subdirectory (the default value) didn't bring a result either.

December 20, 2019, 11:31 AM
John_Edwards
Found it -- sched_log_lines in the edaserve.cfg file sets the number of lines written to the log, requires a service restart. I have my lost lines!