Focal Point
[SOLVED] Running DQS / DQC with /affinity Option

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/6217011376

October 15, 2014, 04:37 PM
A Fisher
[SOLVED] Running DQS / DQC with /affinity Option
I am attempting to start the Data Quality Server using the ability to set Affinity using the start_tomcat.bat file that's included with the installation.

I tried adding 'start /affinity 7' in several different places through the maze of batch files.

Putting it in the start_tomcat.bat file succeeded in making the Tomcat 'Application' --> java.exe process report that it's running on only three processors. However, when I attempt to run a plan against the server at that point, I receive an error stating that the license is only good for 3 processors while my server has 16.

I then tried placing it different places through the different batch files with no success.

Finally, I tried using the 'service.bat' file, installing the whole thing as a service so that I Could assign the number of processors to use that way. That install fails.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A Fisher,

WebFOCUS 8.2.0.1 / App Studio 8.2.0.1 (04092014) / Windows 7 / HTML5, PDF, XLS
October 20, 2014, 10:04 AM
CraigSanders
sorry for the slow reply but are you running the plan in DQS or via the command line?

if you're running it through DQS you can create a bat file that contains:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "start /affinity 3 C:\ibi\DQC_8\dqc64.exe"

and it should resolve your problem.

“/affinity 3” denotes the CPU affinity mask, in this case for CPUs 0 and 1
see (scroll down a bit for the mask):
http://superuser.com/questions...to-a-single-cpu-core

all things iWay
October 20, 2014, 10:13 AM
A Fisher
Unfortunately, I'm running it through the command line.

That's where all of the confusion comes in due to the .BAT file scripting.

I'm going to submit a ticket today, I'll post my results back here when I get them.

Thanks!!

October 23, 2014, 03:02 PM
A Fisher
After submitting a ticket and getting my resolution, you shouldn't have to mess around w/ the processor throttling.

Unless I inadvertently left an affinity line in one of the batch files (which I'm 99% certain I didn't), it's completely solved by the license you receive.

It would appear to me that if given the proper license it will automatically throttle to the proper number of processors w/o any additional work on the part of the customer.

If my information is incorrect here, would someone kindly correct it?