Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ftp'ing a flat file.
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi,

I am trying to get data from a flat file created by a flow over to a box outside of the 'IBI
enterprise'. With this in mind, I am not sure how to do this. Should I ftp the file via a
stored procedure or should I use FILEDEF to define the intended target? If neither, what
should be used to accomplish this?

The box that is to house the flat file is on the company's network, but it is just not used
for any data warehouse/reporting functionality.

Any information on this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
Linux
csv/.txt, pdf, Excel

Master
posted Hide Post
I just write a Linux script to ftp the file where I want it to go and then in my code issue:

-UNIX /path/ftp_scipt.sh

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi:

I have some fexes where I FTP a dump file to a FTP server. I put code in the fex to do this:

FILEDEF CHFTP DISK PUT.FTP
-RUN
-WRITE CHFTP open FTP_servername
-WRITE CHFTP username
-WRITE CHFTP password
-WRITE CHFTP bin
-WRITE CHFTP cd /home/directtv/outbox
-WRITE CHFTP put &FTPDISC
-WRITE CHFTP close
-WRITE CHFTP quit
-RUN

DOS ftp -i -s:PUT.FTP
-RUN

In all of my cases, I save a copy of the report to our WebFOCUS server and FTP a copy for the client. The only downside to this is that the username and password is in the fex. We have not had any issues with this (very few people can get on the server). Another thing you could do is schedule something in ReportCaster -you can set up FTP there and the password isn't shown.

simba

WF 7.7/Windows

Posts: 42 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: January 04, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Jgelona,

I incorporated the use of a Linux script to ftp the data and it works like a charm. Thanks for your suggestion.

Simba - thank you too for your suggestion.

Tom

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
Linux
csv/.txt, pdf, Excel