Focal Point
iDM - Invoking a function in Oracle DB

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/6637078206

April 27, 2011, 05:28 PM
AK
iDM - Invoking a function in Oracle DB
I have an Oracle function which returns the next value from a sequence.

1) How do I invoke an Oracle function using iDM Data Flow or using an iDM Stored Procedure (FEX)?
2) Can I execute the SQL directly i.e. select genvinsequence.nextval from dual from iDM?

Thanks.

iSM 616
iDM 7705
iDQC 802
WF 77
Windows 2008 Server
April 28, 2011, 10:31 AM
Clif
(0) If all you need to do is use the SEQUENCE note that in Release 7.7 there is now support in the synonym for "autoincrementing" columns where for ORACLE the name of the sequence is identified, and as rows are inserted into the table the next value is automatically obtainsd.

(1) SQL SQLORA EX procedure name

(2) From New > Synonym select an ORACLE connection. In the "Restrict object to" pull-down select "stored procedures." Select the procedure you want, supply sample values and create the synonym.

Then you can use the synonym as source in a data flow. Pass input paramaters with a WHERE condition or a JOIN on each of the input parmaters, then select the output paramater.

N/A
April 28, 2011, 05:00 PM
Nan
Clif,

U had mentioned that Oracle sequence will be listed as Stored procedures. I don't see them.

I have created a sequence in Oracle - SQ_ShadowTracitDM

After connecting to oracle in datamigrator,while creating synonym, if I do a restrict object to Stored procedures, it says no candidate objects found.

Please let me know. Thanks,
April 28, 2011, 05:49 PM
AK
Hi Clif, I tried the autoincrement field in the synonym and it didn't work for me.

In the synonym for the field(emp_id) I wanted to autoincrement based on an Oracle sequence I checked the autoincrement property and supplied the schema.sequencename to the sequence property. The synonym prompted me to selecte the field type to read only for autoincrement property so I made it read only. I added this synonym as my target in the data flow. In the target transformations I did NOT add the mapping/expression for this autoincrement field (emp_id). I also tried adding emp_id with a blank expression value. When I execute the flow emp_id is not getting populated.

Am I missing any other configuration? Is there any documentation available for this configuration?

Thanks.

iSM 616
iDM 7705
iDQC 802
WF 77
Windows 2008 Server
April 28, 2011, 06:22 PM
AK
quote:
Originally posted by Nan:
Clif,

U had mentioned that Oracle sequence will be listed as Stored procedures. I don't see them.

I have created a sequence in Oracle - SQ_ShadowTracitDM

After connecting to oracle in datamigrator,while creating synonym, if I do a restrict object to Stored procedures, it says no candidate objects found.

Please let me know. Thanks,

----
Nan, I don't think synonyms can be created for a sequence in Oracle. I ran into the same problem so I created an Oracle procedure/function which returns the nextval of a sequence, created a synonym for that procedure and used that in my data flow.

iSM 616
iDM 7705
iDQC 802
WF 77
Windows 2008 Server
April 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Clif
First, if I wwasn't clear, I described three different approaches you could use.

Nam: While can create a synonym for an ORACLE stored procedure (which you said you had) or package, you cannot create a synonym for a SEQUENCE.

AK: It sounds like the synonym and database are out of sync. If the target table is empty, then select the synonym from the browser, Data Management > Recreate DBMS table. For target transforms you had it right the first time, you don't need one for the autoincrement column because it will get assinged, well, automatically.

N/A
April 29, 2011, 10:58 AM
AK
Cliff, you are right. Looks like the synonym and DBMS table are out of synch. After I recreated them the flow was able to autoincrement according to the Oracle sequence. Thanks for your help.

When recreating the table using the synonym DataMgmt-->Recreate DBMS table wizard I expected iDM to drop and create the DBMS only but it looks like iDM also dropped the sequence and recreated it again based on the properties in the synonym.

iSM 616
iDM 7705
iDQC 802
WF 77
Windows 2008 Server