Focal Point
[SOLVED] Best way to get a consolidated log?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/6717058286

June 22, 2016, 09:52 AM
John_Edwards
[SOLVED] Best way to get a consolidated log?
I have a process flow that runs process flows that run data flows. It's a big process that moves hundreds of tables.

Is there a way to get a consolidated text file of all of the logs of all of the units that run? Data Migrator seems to do me the favor of breaking each into an individual piece and I don't want to have to consolidate all of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tamra,

June 28, 2016, 09:09 AM
jim99
This can be done by setting the individual property of the data flow to be 'Run as a Stored Procedure'.

This is dangerous however as it has an affect on variables if used in the data flow(s) as well as the 'State' of the data flow. It also makes debugging quite difficult since all the logs are in one log. As well, this cannot be done when flows are being called as part of a parallel process.

One alternative to this is to look at the DM log file on the file system. If the DM log was re-created each time this process is executed, then you would have a single text file that contained the log information from the process flow.

I would definitely go this route, given the reasons given above.

Jim
June 28, 2016, 09:17 AM
John_Edwards
At the moment I've written a table file request against the ETLLOG to pull what I need, based on the timestamps of the run. It isn't perfect, but it's sufficient.