Focal Point
Multi-Segment Data Targets

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/7091028331

January 26, 2005, 10:00 PM
andrew w
Multi-Segment Data Targets
G'Day,

I'm looking for some guidance on loading a multi-segment FOCUS database using iWay (we're on release 5.1.2). The target has one parent segment with three child segements.

The child segments are quite simple in that they are providing full descriptions of codes (ie the parent segment may contain a code value of '01' for a report type and the child segment provides a full description of the value, eg 'Trade Report'). The FOCUS master file describes these segments with SEGTYPE=U.

The data in all segments is to be completely dropped and refreshed each month.

My question: how is the load to be performed? Should the parent be loaded first and then the children or the other way around?

I've had a poke around in the documentation library with no success (there's simple stuff on how to load an individual segment but nothing on how to manage the target as a whole).

I know the same could be achieved by just joining files in a report but I am keen for to have OLAP dimensions across the child segments.

Thanks in advance

Andrew W
January 27, 2005, 04:43 PM
j.gross
Plain old MODIFY. Since NOMATCH is guaranteed, you don't even need MATCH-WITH-UNIQUES.

If you arrange to HOLD the data, sorted by key, this will do it:

USE
whatever AS XYZ
END
CREATE FILE XYZ
MODIFY FILE XYZ
FIXFORM FROM HOLD
DATA ON HOLD
END
(The USE syntax is platform dependent.)