Focal Point
Different iWay versions

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/7091073832

July 23, 2007, 11:19 AM
Suzanne
Different iWay versions
Does it matter what version of iWay is installed on remote servers? We will be upgrading our environment to version 7.6.2. Our person responsible for upgrading the DB2 remote server was told that 7.6.2 is not supported on our DB2 server, but 7.6.0 is listed as supported on the matrix. Will it cause any problems to have the main WF server on iWay 7.6.2 and the DB2 server on iWay 7.6.0?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Suzanne,

WF 766
Win2K
July 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
newtofocus
What do you mean by DB2 remote server, do you mean the DB2 adapter?.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM
July 23, 2007, 12:09 PM
Suzanne
Our environment is configured so that iWay runs on the main Web Focus server and the DB2 server, we create a remote server on our WF server that points to the DB2 adapter. (We create the DB2 MFDs on the DB2 instance and then create the MFD on the WF server by pointing to the MFDs on the DB2 server.)

WF 766
Win2K
July 24, 2007, 02:34 PM
newtofocus
So you are using a hub sub architecture. My experience with these is that they work most of the time even though Information Builders does not recommend it. We have a 7.1.4 WebFOCUS server talking to 7.1.1 server with out any issues.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM
September 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
BarbaraA
I know I am chiming in a bit late on this but my experience has been that as long as the major release (ie. 7.6) is the same, you should be ok. I know IBI does always recommend that they be the same however.

WF Reporting Server 71x, 76x
September 12, 2007, 05:32 AM
FinSource
We're in the process of upgrading from 7.6.1 to 7.6.2 and have experienced issues when running a flow developed on 762 on a 761 server. 762 adds alot more to synonyms and dataflows. 761 developed process also gave us some issue because they did not have the require setting in the fex. not an easy one but we've paid the price for assuming the change will be seemless.
September 12, 2007, 09:12 AM
Brian Suter
I think you should double check what is supported (I can not member when we dropped a dbms version in an SP). If you start at the URL http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/iway/iway_cri_cfg_toc.html and navigate down to 760 and 762 you will see nothing dropped on the windows platform.

In general, when it comes to upgrading, upgrade the most back-end component first. Some times the front end tools require new facilities in the back-end (expansions to the SYSCOLUMN table for example). Most of our testing is done on level versions. But we do test new major versions (76x) with the latest prior client (71x) a few times a year to make sure nothing snuck in that would disable a tool.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development