Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    Updating source to indicate successful insert in DM

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Updating source to indicate successful insert in DM
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Ok, here's my scenario that I'm unclear of how to solve:

Table A has n number of transactions that I need to load all of into my target B. This file has a field on it that needs to be updated to a 'Y' for each record successfully added to B.

Table B has a surrogate key that assigns a one-up number for each individual transaction that gets inserted into it, allowing duplicates.

Here's what I dont know how to do; after the record gets added to the file, how do I go back to the original source and indicate that the record should be updated with a 'Y?' I was thinking about making a temp table that just stored all of the records that were successfully processed by DM, but if I do that, I have no way of ensuring the ON MATCH didnt fail for some reason.

Any suggestions?

WebFOCUS: 7702
O/S : Windows
Data Migrator: 7702

Posts: 127 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: May 29, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am restating your issue to make sure I understand.
quote:
When the record from table A is successfully put into table B update the table A record with a "Y"

Assuming you have access to servers/databases/tables the easiest way to do this is straight SQL. Actually, as I think about it I wonder why you are using DM for this. So before I blather on about my answer, and look more ignorant than I am in things DM, please explain to me the architecture of your system and why DM is used versus straight SQL to accomplish moving data from one table to another.

------
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, right, right.

iWay 5.6
Windows
Excel, Tab-delimited, XML

Posts: 23 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 27, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If there are key fields in common between table A and table B, then just do another DM data flow with table A inner joined to table B as the source and just table A as the target. Where you find records in both table A and table B, then do an update to table A to set the updated indicator to a "Y".

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

posted Hide Post
Related to my last post, I am curious why the whole thing wouldn't be done in SQL in the first place? Is it the proverbial "When you have a hammer ..."?

It just occurred to me that perhaps DM would allow single insert failures while allowing the rest to succeed. Is that where my ignorance of DM is stopping me?

BTW: Jewssica's answer is where I was going in my SQL only thread.

------
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, right, right.

iWay 5.6
Windows
Excel, Tab-delimited, XML

Posts: 23 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 27, 2009Report This Post