Focal Point
convert MS SQL TEXT type field to AnnV in Data Migrator

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/780103705

August 12, 2010, 04:18 PM
Endre
convert MS SQL TEXT type field to AnnV in Data Migrator
Since the 7.6 DM SCD flow breaks when one of the Type I or Type II fields are MS SQL TEXT type, I have to "source" convert these fields to Alpha variable.

What is the best (or only) way to convert a TEXT field to Alpha Variable in Data Migrator?

Endre

WebFocus 7.6.8
iWay Data Migrator 7.6.8
PMF 5.1
August 12, 2010, 06:34 PM
Dan Satchell
You might try creating either a Source Transformation or a Target Transformation. Source Transformations create temporary DEFINEs in the master description of the source table. The data is transformed as it is extracted and before it is stored in the SQLOUT hold file.

Target Transformations are accomplished via COMPUTEs in the underlying MODIFY (load) logic. The data is transformed as it is read from the SQLOUT hold file and loaded by the MODIFY logic.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05
August 13, 2010, 09:39 AM
Endre
Thank you Dan, I appreciate the explanation of the method differences between Source and Target transformation. My real issue is with the right function. What is the best (or only) function that would transform TEXT data type to AnnV type?

WebFocus 7.6.8
iWay Data Migrator 7.6.8
PMF 5.1
August 13, 2010, 10:14 AM
Clif
You shouldn't need to convert the columns,you should be able to just edit the synonym to change the description of the columns to AnV.

N/A