Focal Point
[SOLVED] Slowly changing dimensions

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/7837023986

February 16, 2018, 08:55 AM
Ronibi
[SOLVED] Slowly changing dimensions
Hai

We are going to use DMC version 81M. As database we are running DB2 z/Os version 11.
A DB2 adapter is installed.
Been reading about SCD in the DMC manual, but have a few questions.

We have an actual table in which the current situation is stored, of agreements
And we have a history table that stores all the changes. Using begin-date, end-date and a recent-indicator. When I take all the rows in the history table with recent-indicator = Y, I have the same rwos as in the actual table.
When a change comes in the actual table, the history has to be updated using SCD.

When using SCD in Data Management Console:
- must I indicate in the master of the history table whether a column is SCD-type 1 or 2?
- must i install a log table for the actual or history table when using SCD?
- must the columnames in both masters be identical?
- we are using DB2 identity key as surrogate key, so generated by DB2. Is this ok, or wants Datamigrator assign values?

Hope someone can clarify

Thnx a lot
Ron

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.2.04
WebFocus Datamanagement Console 8.1M
DMC
February 21, 2018, 10:14 AM
Clif
quote:
We are going to use DMC version 81M.

Release 81 (aka 7.7.06) first shipped in September 2014. I strongly recommend using the current production 82 (aka 7.7.07) which has many improvements in general and especially when using SCD.

quote:
When using SCD in Data Management Console: - must I indicate in the master of the history table whether a column is SCD-type 1 or 2?

You must indicate in the synonym for a Dimension table the SCD type of every column: Type I, Type 2, Logical Key, Begin/End Date, Active Flag, etc.

quote:

- must i install a log table for the actual or history table when using SCD?

While use of Change Data Capture in combination with SCD is an option it's not required.

quote:

- must the columnames in both masters be identical?

No, you can map them in target transformations.

quote:

- we are using DB2 identity key as surrogate key, so generated by DB2. Is this ok, or wants Datamigrator assign values?

Either way, it's up to you. When you create the synonym for a table with an identity column it's identified as such and used as the surrogate key.

N/A
February 23, 2018, 10:10 AM
Clif
Also please ensure you have selected load type "Slowly Changing Dimensions."

N/A
February 23, 2018, 10:18 AM
Ronibi
after some struggle everything works now. Thnx.

WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.2.04
WebFocus Datamanagement Console 8.1M
DMC