Focal Point
[CLOSED] SCHED_DEFAULT queuing

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/7877026586

February 23, 2017, 11:14 AM
DeeJay
[CLOSED] SCHED_DEFAULT queuing
Was recently instructed via case management to change the scheduler to use SCHED_DEFAULT and turn queuing on for DEFAULT. Before the change to SCHED_DEFAULT, I was using DEFAULT with a max of 40 and queuing off. I was told to do this because I'm running a lot of flows simultaneously. Parameters for the SCHED_DEFAULT service are set by default to...

max=20
ready=2
max_q=20

Obviously upping the max will effect machine memory. If I up the max_q to, say 40, will that have adverse affects? I'm already limiting the number of flows in my parallel groups, just wanting to have a little more wiggle room.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 7.7.06
Windows, All Outputs
March 06, 2017, 11:46 AM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi DeeJay

Since there have been no repsonses on Focal Point I would suggest you update your case with techsupport and get additional guidance from them on these settings.

Regards,

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
March 06, 2017, 03:14 PM
dhagen
Nope.

First, upping the max will not affect the memory until you are using the agents. If you have a number ready of 2 and a max or 40, only 2 agents are running and therefore using system resources. This is just a potential to use 38 more agents if needed.

The max q just affects the queue manager. The queue manager uses minimal resources, so you can punch it up and you will probably not witness any noticeable system resource usage.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott