Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Oracle Metadata
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Is there a way to point directly to an Oracle table without having a fully defined MFD. That is, something like the MFD or ACX file getting fieldnames directly from Oracle?

Dev Studio /7.6.11/7.7.02M
MVS/USS
AIX/SOLARIS
Windows WF Client 7.6.8/7.6.11

Posts: 64 | Location: Eastern and middle NC | Registered: March 13, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Instead of using the TABLE facility which uses the MAS/ACX metadata, you can do SQL passthru directly to the Oracle tables. After that, you reference a temporary table called SQLOUT which has metadata automatically generated based on your SQL answer set.

Here is an example of accessing Oracle Portal tables:

ENGINE SQLORA SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION ORATEST
SQL SQLORA PREPARE SQLOUT FOR
SELECT long_to_varchar2('select sql_statement from portal30.wwv_usr_dynamic_lov$ where lov_name = '||''''||LOV_NAME||'''', 4000) SQL_STATEMENT,
LOV_NAME
FROM PORTAL30.WWV_USR_DYNAMIC_LOV$
WHERE LOV_OWNER = 'CUSTOMER_APP'
;
END
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT SQL_STATEMENT
BY LOV_NAME
END
-RUN

Is this what you are looking for? Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Doug L.
DLautzenheiser@PartnerPS.com

Personal: Windows 7.7.02
Clients: Variety

Posts: 16 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
You do have an option when generating the synonyms:

Dynamic columns
To specify that the Master File created for the synonym
should not contain column information, select the Dynamic
columns check box.
If this option is selected, column data is retrieved
dynamically from the data source at the time of the request.

I guess the other question is how do you want to make use of this?

ttfn, kp

Access to most releases from R52x, on multiple platforms.

Posts: 346 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: April 15, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Piipster. That is interesting. I assume if you use Dynamic Columns, then using the GUI is out. Everything must be manually coded, correct?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have used SQL passthru and created temp metadata but in this case I think the [NOCOLS] is what I'm lloking for. It does work with the GUI tools but it does not seem to recognize DBA Security rules. Still testing.

Thanks to all who replied.

Steve - UNC Chapel Hill

Dev Studio /7.6.11/7.7.02M
MVS/USS
AIX/SOLARIS
Windows WF Client 7.6.8/7.6.11

Posts: 64 | Location: Eastern and middle NC | Registered: March 13, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgelona:
Piipster. That is interesting. I assume if you use Dynamic Columns, then using the GUI is out. Everything must be manually coded, correct?

It depends on what you'd like to do with the gui... if you wanted to simply report off of tables that are defined with dynamic columns there is no issue. The type of things you would not be able to do would be to add a define to the master file since it is pulled dynamically.

You should also be able to do all normal joins and such with dynamic columns.

George D. Brown
Loyola University Chicago
gbrown2@luc.edu

Posts: 77 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 06, 2004Report This Post