Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [CLOSED] Which to implement first, Analyzer or Governor?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Which to implement first, Analyzer or Governor?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
We have licenses for Analyzer and Governor and I am slated to deploy both this quarter.

* All things remaining equal, is one 'recommended' to be deployed before the other?
* Does one have astronomical benefits that I would be a fool not to implement today?
* Does one require little/no configuration making it "low hanging fruit"?

We are not really facing any issues that these products are slated to solve (no more than any other business or implementation) so it leaves the implementation order up for grabs.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

- ABT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ABT,

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd share the reply my IBI rep gave me when I posed the same question to him. It was enlightening (as I am a noob), so I thought I'd let everyone in on the info:

quote:

All good questions. But, one depends on the other. Here is how it all works.

Resource Analyzer records all kinds of information about each request as it’s being executed. Time of Day, elapsed time, cpu time, User, IO, Lines of output, etc. More than 100 items. This information is stored in SQL Server (relational) databases. Then over time, as data accumulates, you can run the reports we provide. Who is the biggest user in time, frequency, or data. What report runs the longest, which report does WHERE tests on fields that are not indexed, which columns from a table are never accessed, etc. All valuable information for tuning database tables or going to users to see why their report runs so long. As reports run over and over again, the system collects enough information to gauge how much resources each report is going to take.

Resource Governor lets an admin create run rules based on information collected by Analyzer. For example – Reports against the XYZ file that take over 5 minutes can’t be run on the last 2 days of the month or between 9am and 5pm. So it becomes a resource governor by stopping requests from running when you say they can’t. Most databases have a governor, but that only stops execution when so much time has expired. Resource Governor with the data collected can come up with a pretty darn close guess BEFORE the report even runs and then based on your rules – it executes or doesn’t.

So you would go with Resource Analyzer first and let it collect for a while before implementing Governor. You can enter the license code and activate them both together, then you configure them independently. You can tell Analyzer to collect information and don’t do anything with Governor.

WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to see how your implementation of Analyzer and Governor went. We are experiencing some problems with long running reports being run during prime time by my less tech sophisticated users and think this may be a solution to that problem.
Thanks,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows-iSeries DB2, All Outputs
HTML

Posts: 29 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: August 23, 2011Report This Post