Focal Point
DM - Variable source and Target

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/8591054903

December 04, 2008, 10:58 AM
jim99
DM - Variable source and Target
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to configure Data Migrator to use variable for it's source and targets (within the GUI). The idea would be a flow that loads many dimensions. The variable would have to define the source and the target tables at runtime. The result would be process that could load all dimensions in a particular application.

I know I can do this in straight SQL, where I could have a table for Table Names, and a Related table for the associated column names. I would loop through the Table names, and have a separate loop to processes (define) the columns.(or I could use the System catalogues for the Tables and Colunn names)

I don't see how DM can do this (in the GUI), but, maybe there is a way?

Thanks in advance

Jim
December 05, 2008, 09:00 AM
Jessica Bottone
I don't know of any way to do that via the GUI. If Clif is monitoring this forum, maybe he knows of something.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows
December 05, 2008, 09:58 AM
Clif
It's been a fairly common request to process multiple tables with the same layout. We've added functionality into the forthcoming Release 7.7 to facilitate this:

(1) The table name and connection names in the synonym (access file) can now be global variables.
(2) A proces flow that calls a data flow can specify to get paramaters using a synonym that points to a table (or file) that contains a list of values to substitue for variables.
(3) A global variable object allows assigning values.

If you would like to test this functionality in advance of the production release, call Hotline and ask to be a Beta test site.

N/A