Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  iWay Software Product Forum on Focal Point    [SOLVED] Run on holidays

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Run on holidays
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

Has anyone experience with the option to schedule with 'Run on holidays' and then specifically with the option 'Skip'?

I set up a holiday file in the folder:
\ibi\srv77\dm\bin\

I also set up a master file, to test it and it shows the dates as expected.

After that I have put a SET HDAY = TEST command in the server profile edasprof.prf.

For the name of the HDAY file four letters are used, so HDAYTEST.ERR.

When I put the option for Run on Holidays on 'Skip'.

-*DM_RUN_ON_HDAY=N
-**Scheduler Type : Recurring; Continuous Type.
-**Schedule Interval : Every 01 Day(s).
-**Scheduler Start : 2016/03/11 17:14:00
-**Intraday Start : 00:00:00
-**Intraday End : 00:00:00
-**Log Destinations : ETLLOG, E-Mail
-**Run on Holidays : No

The process still shows up on the 'Scheduled Events' and also still runs when I schedule it to run that moment.

What else can I try to make this option work and prevent schedules from running on holidays? As far as I know I have set everything right as per the Help documentation.

Thanks,
SWES

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Member of the Benelux Usergroup

Posts: 198 | Location: Amsterdam | Registered: August 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use the Blackout Dates functionality in ReportCaster Console to set a calendar of dates that you do not want ReportCaster to run any schedules. You can set up a Global calendar and /or ones for specific groups. This will absolutely assure that schedules will not be run.

Prod: WF 8.005 Windows, all output formats
Dev: WF 8.005

Posts: 21 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: September 18, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks-a-lot Sandy! You helped me with this for the ReportCaster part. I tested it and it actually works pretty convenient. That's great we solved one part of the puzzle.

Still I need to figure out how the holiday functionality will work for the ETL part. This because we receive a lot of 'error messages' from the ETL the day after holidays when there is data to load.

Thanks again,
SWES

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
There were some improvements made in the scheduler in Release 7.7.06 posted in September 2014 which looks to me to have addressed this issue.
Could you please confirm the DataMigrator release you are using? Your signature says 7705.

That said there are a couple of other things to check.

Review your workspace log (edaprint.log) to ensure there are no errors like this:
E (FOC1892) FILE NOT FOUND : HDAYXXXX
If so copy your hdayxxxx.err file to ibi\srv77\dm\etc.

Also check the err file and ensure that there is a return character after the holiday if it's the last or only holiday in the file.

N/A

Posts: 397 | Location: New York City | Registered: May 03, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cliff,

Thank you for your helpful information. We are on version 7705 indeed, but I assume this key feature is suppose to work in such a release too (?).

1) Could you maybe tell us when the holidays are determined: at the point when you save the process for schedule or when the process is run?
Also, when you have this working should the schedule (which is suppose to 'skip' on a holiday) still visible in the 'Scheduled Events'?

2) Where do you put the command SET HDAY = xxxx ? Do you put it in the EDASPROF file (if yes, is a restart required?) or do you put it in the process itself (if yes, where exactly do you put it? We tried it in the text editor on top of the fex, but also here the command seems to be disappear when saving it).

For our information: where did you find the hdayxxxx.err file needs to be in the following ibi\srv77\dm\etc directory? Because I cannot find this information anywhere in the technical documentation and our err file for WebFOCUS resides in the 'bin folder'. For your information, right now we have put it in both directories, just to make sure.

Thanks again,
SWES

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you had difficulties with this.

Indeed Run on Holidays - Skip was available in 7705 but our QA testing found it to be problematic and the issues were addressed in 7706. I would recommend upgrading to this release for this and other improvements.

1) Holidays are determined by the scheduler when it scans for flows to run at each scheduler interval.

2) For scheduling purposes the SET HDAY=XXXX command should be in your Server Profile (edasprof.prf). See "Reference: Specifying the Holiday File" in the DMUG. Alternatively it could be in the user profile for the user that runs the scheduler (sched_scan_id). So that this gets picked up you need to Stop and Start the SCHEDULER under Special Services and Listeners.

You should avoid making changes to the generated flows because if they are not recognized by the parser when the flow is opened they are discarded. If you need to add a command to a flow, add it to a stored procedure, then add the procedure to the process flow.

As a general rule the sub-directory bin is for programs, while etc is for configuration files. The section referenced above specifies home\etc which is actually an error. There wasn't a home\etc directory in 7705, it should have read dm\etc and that will be corrected in the next edition.

N/A

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Clif, again thank you for this information. Can we conclude that the Run on Holidays - Skip option will just NOT work in version 7705 in any way? Upgrading to 7706 is no option for us on the short term, since it entails basically an upgrade to version 8 from my information.

As soon as we put SET HDAY = xxxx in our EDASPROF config file, the SCHEDULER for the whole server will not start and we're in trouble.

BTW do you know if the SKIP option was a novelty for 7705 on or was it in DataMigrator before (earlier versions)?

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Support for running on or skipping holidays was first introduced back in 7.7.02 but the interaction between recurring schedules and holidays was more complex then we realized and the initial implementation didn't meet some customers needs. It was improved in subsequent releases. For the best experience I would suggest updating to the current production Release 7.7.06. The issue you reported with the scheduler not starting has also been addressed. There is no need to upgrade to "version 8."

N/A

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a way to generate a list/report of processes (via WebFOCUS and/or ReportCaster) with processes scheduled not to run on holidays, e.g. skipped on holidays.

Is there a table in the repository available for this? Or where could I find this data of scheduled processes.

Thanks.

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Clif, would you maybe have a clue for me?

We upgraded to version 8 but I just can't get the 'Skip on holidays' get to work. I have tried everything: creating a new procedure, rebooting the server, etc. but still no cigar.

The holiday calendar has the dates in it and the option shows up in the script, but it keeps running on holidays and shows up in 'Scheduled events'.

-*DM_JOB_TYPE=1
-*DM_USERID=PTH\svr_ibi_acc
-*DM_REQ_ACT=A
-*DM_SCHDCODE=130011111007320000000000000000000000000000000000000
-*DM_SCHDSTRT=201512220732
-*DM_LOG=5
-*DM_CLIENT_RELEASE_GEN=M728100D_947
-*DM_SERVER_RELEASE_GEN=M728100D_947
-*DM_RUN_ON_HDAY=N
-**Scheduler Type : Multi-Days.
-**Day(s) of the Week : Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
-**Scheduler Start : 2015/12/22 07:32:00
-**Log Destinations : ETLLOG, E-Mail
-**Run on Holidays : No

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Just to make sure: I did put the command
SET HDAY = [ HDAYfile ] in the edasprof file too.

I also created the master for the HDAY in the baseapp dir, which works correctly as well.

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
IP

Ignored post by
Clif
posted
document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Wed, 16 Mar 2016 07:36:01 GMT-0700', 'March 16, 2016 10:36 AM')+'');March 16, 2016 10:36 AMMarch 16, 2016 10:36 AMShow Post
ignoreMessage('3757003186', '5661023622');
SWESPlatinum Member posted document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Wed, 16 Mar 2016 08:18:59 GMT-0700', 'March 16, 2016 11:18 AM')+'');March 16, 2016 11:18

Ahhh the sysapps table, thanks again Clif!

Would you still have some suggestions for me to see how I would get the HDAY function working? Roll Eyes

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWES:
I'm looking for a way to generate a list/report of processes ... scheduled not to run on holidays...
Thanks.

You can get a list of the flows that are scheduled to run on a given day from SCHEDULER > Scheduled Events. Flows that don't appear won't be run.

To see that ones that are not scheduled to run on holidays create a new flow, right click on the SQL object and select SQL Statement and paste the following:

SELECT 
   T1.APPNAME ,  
   T1.FNAME , --File Name 
   T1.RUNHDAY  --Run On Holidays (Y/N/O) 
FROM 
   sysapps T1  
 WHERE 
   T1.FEXT = 'fex'  AND  
   T1.JOBTYPE IN ( 1 , 13 )  AND  
   T1.RUNHDAY = 'N'

Click the SQL button to see the list (subject to maximum rows for rest reports) or add a target to write the list to a file or table. You can add additional fields as needed.

N/A

Guru
posted Hide Post
As for HDAY check that it's named, say, hday2018.err and it's in the correct location as described above, and that the dates supplied are in the correct yyyymmdd format, and that you've specified the name as, say,
SET HDAY=2018

Check the workspace log (edaprint) to see what flows are initiated by the scheduler. You should see something like this for each directory
DM Scan App: dirname: 3

and for each flow
 DM: agent started (dmid=D2, proc="app/file",active) 

If the Scheduled Events report still shows flows running on holidays that shouldn't then please open a case and upload a savediag that shows this.

N/A

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clif, so if I get you right: the flows that are supposed not to run on holidays as such, will still show up in the Scheduled Events on that particular day (holiday)? This makes it a lot more confusing to me.

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Clif, I will do the EDAPRINT check first thing tomorrow. I did exactly all described by you, even the things you said previously, like a return after the last date etc. However, we also did solve an error today which appeared in the edalog concerning the HDAY master file (not visible when opening the HDAY master in DataMigrator, so it only showed up in the edalog. We fixed that, but even after that nothing...

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for HDAY check that it's named, say, hday2018.err and it's in the correct location as described above, and that the dates supplied are in the correct yyyymmdd format, and that you've specified the name as, say, SET HDAY=2018

Wait... so you're saying that if the file is called hday2018.err, the SET command should be SET HDAY = 2018 and not SET HDAY = HDAY2018 ??

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
The HDAY master file is just for testing. It's the "errors" file itself that must be specified as I've said.

It's documented in the DMUG in the section "Reference: Specifying Holiday File." While somewhat unusual it's always been that way, pre-dating even DataMigrator as the file was originally used for business day calculations

N/A

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, you're right, I meant the file itself which exceeded LENGTH value blabla in the EDAlog instead of the master file. Smiler

But still, I should remove the HDAY 'prefix' from the name? I'm gonna give that a try too..

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
File name:
hday2018.err

Profile setting:
SET HDAY=2018

N/A

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clif:
File name:
hday2018.err

Profile setting:
SET HDAY=2018

Ahhh that is it, now it's working properly! Thank you very much Clif, so the confusing part for us was to not point at the filename but leave the HDAY-part out of it Roll Eyes

WebFOCUS 8105m
Windows 7, All Outputs