New
Search
Notify
Tools

handling SQL-LOG FILES
 Login/Join

posted
Deal All,

I have a database which contains all the tables (destination tables). I extracted all the data through DATA-MIGRATOR and inserted into these destination tables. The issue is with the database's size. It has already occupied 40GB space. The database contains 2-main files .MDF (data files) and .LDF (log files) and both of them are 20GB each. For a log file, 20GB is too much. I want to restrict the growth of the database. Unfortunately, I don’t have much experience with MS-SQL. Can you kindly assist us in this issue i.e. HOW CAN WE RESTRICT A DATABASE and HOW CAN WE CLEAN-UP THE LOG FILE?

Regards,

Posts: 3 | Location: SAUDI ARABIA---RIYADH | Registered: October 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi - You may find your answere on the Microsoft Support site. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Thanks
Kathleen

Posts: 429 | Location: New York | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to perform the following script:
backup log [DATABASE NAME] with Truncate_only

followed by a Database shrink. This can be scheduled on as a maintenace task to be performed on a regular bases. Restricting the growth might lead to other issue on you database. Database Maintenace can help.

Paul

Posts: 16 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: July 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post