Focal Point
Data Migrator: Listen for Excel file

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1381057331/m/9427002426

September 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
Scott Picou
Data Migrator: Listen for Excel file
Does anyone have an idea on how to listen for and process an incomin Excel file in Data Migrator? As near as I can tell from the documentation, the file listener facility only works for flat files. I can read and process the Excel file just fine, but I need to listen for it.

Tbanks in advance.

iWay Service Manager 6.1.2, iWay Data Migrator 7.7.03M
Windows 2008 64-bit
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF, XML, CSV, etc.)
September 18, 2012, 05:55 PM
Clif
The file listener also works for delimited files, so rather than send Excel workbooks as-is, what most customers do is export delimited files and copy or FTP them to the DataMigrator server. If you can do that, I think it's the easiest way.

Otherwise there is new listener functionality in Release 7.7.04 to monitor a directory for files butnot read them. Then when a file arrives you could initiate a data flow to process it, regardless of type.

N/A
September 19, 2012, 09:51 AM
Scott Picou
Thank you Clif. I see the new 7704 functionality mentioned in the New Features Guide, but do not find the documentation for using it anywhere. Where might I find this please.

iWay Service Manager 6.1.2, iWay Data Migrator 7.7.03M
Windows 2008 64-bit
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF, XML, CSV, etc.)
September 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
Clif
For the source see "Reference: Prototype File Monitory (sic) Synonym" on page 616.

For your purpose for the target you could use a flat file with one column to contain the full file name. And then use that to supply the DATASET name for the excel (direct retrieval) synonym.

N/A