Focal Point
Filter Gadget Under Custom Parameters

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1461084022/m/1167011196

February 14, 2019, 11:27 AM
Jasen
Filter Gadget Under Custom Parameters
I only want certain business segments to display on a gadget. Can I use the custom parameters to do this? My business segments are one of my dimensions. If so how do I set up the filter.

Thanks for any help in advance

Gadget Setup

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output
February 14, 2019, 12:57 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
If I understand your question, are you looking to filter gadgets on more than one dimension level value at a time?

Like this:

Region: EAST -OR- WEST

Do I have this correct?

Or are you looking to set up a User-Specified dimension filter on the gadget so a business unit could be chosen? To do that you'd add User-Specified Dimension as a filter to the gadget, drop it on your dashboard, and away you go.

If you're looking for multiple dimension level values, typically users in this case would add a dimension level that categorizes the dimension groups to the selection desired, and then you could filter on that category. They would need to reload the measures after changing the dimension.

If this is for particular users who have special needs, you could add a filter to PMF for those users that does a custom filter with multiple values.
Any measures marked as filtered would then apply the filter for those users.

If you need more, let us know. We'd glad for this opportunity to help.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

February 14, 2019, 01:44 PM
Jasen
I am trying to keep them out of using filters and having the data display as needed, but yes I am trying to basically do an OR as a filter. It may make sense to create a higher level hierarchy for this. I would be interested to see the custom filter however.

In the screen shot I do not want to display the business segments with the red box around them. Thought there may be a way to use the custom parameter to do it, but I am open to any solution as long as the user does not have to select a filter once on the page. At some point I may have multiple gadgets on this page that may need to be filtered differently.

All Segments

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output
February 14, 2019, 03:45 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
We can look into ability to allow multiple filters at the same dimension level.
There is definite value in providing this type of functionality.

It would be fairly involved as:
* The Dashboard filters would have to have a way to select multiple values at the same level without drilling down to the next Dimension level.
* Analysis Designer gadget would have to allow the same.
* If more than one parent level drill value is possible, any drills could create more than one drill pathway. PMF would have to make sure that the drill path logic preserves the pathway the user clicked. This way if two leaf nodes in the Dimension at the next drill level would filter out any other possible paths, so your numbers would add up. For example, say you had a region level OHIO and VERMONT and your user filtered OHIO -OR- VERMONT, and the next level for both values had "Springfield," and the user drilled on OHIO, you only want the Springfield in OHIO's numbers to show up. So it's a bit of work.

Once we got this into PMF, you could pre-set the gadgets to filter so they wouldn't have to change the filter.

We'll explore the option and provide a release estimate as soon as we can.
It might be a few weeks for the team to determine the scope of such a project.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

February 14, 2019, 04:03 PM
Jasen
How do I preset a gadget filter? Is it under custom Parameters or is it done in the gadget code in WebFOCUS?

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output
February 14, 2019, 04:09 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
When you create the Dashboard, in Edit mode, you set the gadget property filters. When you do this, it's automatically applied by default to any user who views the dashboard. If they change the filter value, their personal value overrides it.

Hope this info is clear, and helps.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

February 14, 2019, 04:24 PM
Jasen
Makes perfect sense.

Thanks

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output