Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Dimension Drill-Down - Relevant Only

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Dimension Drill-Down - Relevant Only
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Bob,

We solved the ragged hierarchy issue, but now we have something far more frustrating. We want to assign several measures to a gadget - related measures who all use the same dimension table - and then we want the built-in dimension drill-down to only offer the ability to drill-down on the linked dimension table - which is the only relevant table.

We have tried putting the dimension table first in the dimension box on the measure setup screen - but that did not work. That was your suggestions in an older post. Are we missing something?

It works with one meausure in the gadget, but as soon as you add another, the menu offers ALL dimension tables, even if they are not linked or connected in any way. Help.

Your text from 2009:

1. You can set up each measure to automatically drill to the most relevant dimension. You control this by setting the first dimensional linkage on the measure metadata screen (the Dimension box) to the letter representing that dimension. Then PMF will automatically pre-drill the detail view to that dimension.

2. If you are using gadget based dashboards, the gadget controls can be set to pre-drill to whatever dimension and level is desired on a user-by-user basis.

3. There is a default dimension/drill level setting in PMF settings that causes PMF to automatically drill down to a particular level of a dimension.

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

screen shot of dimension issue for Bob

Master
posted Hide Post
The menu drill you're displaying will show only the linked dimensions. So when you say relevant, is that contextual rather than technical?

If the other dimensions are linked to the measures, such that the menu will still show them, then add the Dimension Tree gadget to your dashboard and filter it to only show the dimension you feel is relevant; since this gadget is a broadcast controller, a user click to the tree will broadcast the dimension value to the gadgets.

Are you using PMF 5.3.1 or 5.2.3? PMF 5.3.1 knows not to show dimensions that aren't linked to any measures on a scorecard by the way, which is nice. 5.3.1 also has the Ginsu (long as you're not using old IE) which allows dashboard-level filtering without using up a Gadget. It's also much more mobile-aware than 5.2.

Hope this helps.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick response late on a Friday. We really appreciate it.

It is true that the drill down only offers the linked dimension table when only one (1) measure is displayed in the gadget.

But as soon as we add a second or third meausure, the menu suddenly offeres all 3 of the dimension tables - even those that are not linked to the measures being displayed. We have very carefully put only measures in this gadget that use the same single dimension table. See attached images.

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Gadget with One Measure

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the gadget with 2 meaasures. Notice how the drill down menu has changed to offer all three dimension tables - even those that are not linked.

We are using 5.3.1

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Two Measures in Gadget

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
And this shows the measure def page which clearly indicates that we only have two dimension tables in use. And we even reloaded the data wih the 'N' dimension table first - but this does not help if there are 2 meaures in the gadget.

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

showing dimension def page

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear - the 'N' dimension table is the one named 'Next DBS Level'. That is the only one that is linked to the two meausres that are displayed in the example gadget and that is the only one we expect to see in the drill down menu. .

So, yes, technically, only this one dimension table is relevant because it is the only one linked, besides time.

Again, we are using 5.3.1.

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Master
posted Hide Post
If you show more than one measure in a grid, the order/sort doesn't apply. It will use the dims in dim order.

If you have to show multiple measures in one grid, try the suggestion to add the dim tree to the dashboard, and filter it to show only the dim you want. This might give you the results you prefer. The dim menus on grids are always going to show all linked.

Have a good weekend.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
So your last statement, "The dim menus on grids are always going to show all linked." - that is what I don't understand.

We only have one table linked to these two measures.(besides time)

So - why is it showing all three if we only have one linked?

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Master
posted Hide Post
something's making it show. not sure what version of PMF you have. If it's really old then perhaps it's before we were doing that - but it'd have to be really really old.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Ok - I just found where to update my signature - but I did actually tell you the version number in two different posts above. It is 5.3.1. It is not an older version. It was installed with Carlotta's help last last year.

Please - we will need to setup a remote session on Tuesday or Wednesday to try to resolve. Will that be possible?

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Master
posted Hide Post
In PMF dimensions belong to the group of measures being shown.

If the report in your gadget is showing more than one measure, any single measure on that report loses control of the menus. Instead, the menus show the Dimensions that apply to all the measures on the report. Your gadget is showing Clinical visits and OP visits. This gadget will show all the Dimensions linked to both the measures filtered into it on the menus of both the measures. They will show the same menu for both.

There's no way in FOCUS we know of to vary the number of items in a WebFOCUS multi-drill menu within a sort field, so this gadget had to show all linked Dimensions for all linked Measures.

I just tested and confirmed this behavior, and it's not broken. I know you would prefer if it were controllable. So would I.

As an alternative to relying on multi-drill, use a broadcast controller gadget - like the Utility - Dimension List Gadget - and set its properties to list just the Dimension you want to show. Bonus is it's there without any extra clicks, too, and stays up, and it's configurable at the user/scorecard/gadget/dashboard level.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Master
posted Hide Post
And sorry I didn't notice you mentioning your version twice. I think it's been a long week...

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Bob - I am turning this issue over to the DEV team. Mitch Cohen will be in touch to setup a time to review this with you. We are just down the block - so it's just as easy for us to come to you and drill in to our system from there. Please give Mitch a call at 646-688-1693. Thanks!

Damon
WF 7.7.02M LINUX
PMF 5.3.1
HTML, PDF, EXCEL

Master
posted Hide Post
OK. It would be possible for you to hardcode the menus as a customization, but then they would not pick up changes, and you'd have to change the hardcoding.

Still think that best way for you to proceed is to use a gadget to do the job. Since you're on 5.3.1, there are many ways to get what you want without a customization. You would just have to give up on the drill menus on the dimension values within the grids; these are going to be rather inflexible.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105