Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Passing dimensional filter to a web launch page

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Passing dimensional filter to a web launch page
 Login/Join

posted
Could you elaborate on the Google Search Gadget described on page 31 of the Developer's Guide? I'm not really following the example. Using a very specific example the fourth level of a Location dimension is a sales branch - it's a city name (the dimension goes Company/Division/Region/Branch).

In the following code from your example - value="!IBI.AMP.SEARCH_STR;"> what needs to be inserted as the value to pass the currently selected branch (city) to the html page? I can call the launch page and pass a literal to the search box but I'm having difficulty figuring out passing the dimension value.

Thanks for your help.

WebFOCUS is 7.6.11
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Expert
posted Hide Post
Please post you code between the code tags.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Steve,
We thought this was pretty clearly described on page 34 of the Guide in the section "Incorporating PMF Dimensional Drills into your Reports."

In case you read that and it somehow isn't clear, Dimensions have two types of amper vars:

First, the entire Dimension clicked or selected Dimension path for every Dimension used is in a variable named after the Dimension. So if your Dimension is called Location, the variable is &LOCATION. This variable contains the entire pathed value. So if Location has 3 levels (Country, Region, City) then &LOCATION contains the values clicked or selected or whatever, separated by tilde chars as a delimiter.

For example:
&LOCATION='US~WEST~LA'

You can simply pass this entire string to any gadget or other content managed in PMF. For the Search Gadget, to get the entire string into the search box, you could code:
-SET &SEARCH_STR = &LOCATION ;

Second, if you choose, you can also break the components of the string up. You would issue a -INCLUDE to our snipping routine (GADG_DIM_PARMS_MULT.FEX) to cause that to happen. The snipping routine is auto included, however, for anything displayed on the PMF Dashboard display mechanism - so if you are dealing with a Gadget, the snipping just happens, handled automatically by the Dashboard, just as the Dashboard also passed other information such as current sizing of the Gadget display area, etc. Snipped vars look like this:
[DIMENSIONNAME]_LEVEL[NN]_VALUE

For Location with three levels, the vars would be:
&LOCATION_LEVEL01_VALUE
&LOCATION_LEVEL02_VALUE
&LOCATION_LEVEL03_VALUE

If you just wanted to pass the level 3 value of City to the Search Gadget, you would code:

-SET &SEARCH_STR = &LOCATION_LEVEL03_VALUE ;

Hope this helps.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

posted Hide Post
Bob,

Actually the information on page 34 is pretty clear. Maybe I didn't pose my question correctly.

I have been able to pass the location parameter to a WF report. Taking the Outages example as a guide and adapting it to my situation was actually pretty straightforward.I'm selecting "operational report" from an objective and running a sales report by division/region/branch and it shows the level of data that is being displayed on the PMF dashboard and all sub-levels. So if I am showing measures at the region level I get a report showing sales data for each branch within each region. Works beautifully.

My specific problem is that when I follow the instructions on page 31 and 32, and cut and paste the html exactly as it is written, including the addition of the search string parameter, when I open the Google gadget I do not get a dimension name inside the search box, but rather the literal
-!IBI.AMP.SEARCH_STR. I have gone through steps one through six a number of times and I am missing something.

Thanks.

WebFOCUS is 7.6.11
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)

Master
posted Hide Post
The literal text in the Guide is:

<input type="text" name="q" size="20" maxlength="255" value="!IBI.AMP.SEARCH_STR;">

Please reproduce it exactly.
WebFOCUS needs to replace the amper var in -HTMLFORM to do this.
You cannot add a dash before the exclamation point as shown in your example.
You must include the semicolon after the expression, as omitted in your example.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!