Focal Point
Controlling or Modifying Output from Analysis Designer

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1461084022/m/202109455

October 19, 2010, 06:31 PM
SDTallent
Controlling or Modifying Output from Analysis Designer
Is there a way to control the display order of fields on a report generated by analysis designer? For instance, if I run a report with three measures - Net Revenue, COGS and Gross Profit - sorted across quarter I will see the three measures with a quarter to quarter comparision, but they are listed alphabetically by measure.
COGS
Gross Profit
Net Revenue

It would be more readable to see:
Net Revenue
COGS
Gross Profit

listed in that order. I don't see any way to control that in Analysis Designer so what is the best way to use it as the parameter selection screen, then pass those parameters to a report that I could code to display the measures in a specific order? Or is there a simpler way that I am missing/

Thanks

WebFOCUS is 7.6.11
Windows
all output (Excel, HTML, PDF)
October 20, 2010, 12:07 AM
Bob Jude Ferrante
Reports you create with Analysis Designer go through a HOLD file pass - if it's a Measures level report that's called PASS1. You can TABLE off PASS1. If you use the parameter analysis tool as detailed in the PMF Developer's Guide you'll see the consistent parameters used by PMF as filters, groupings, and field prints.

Probably you want to test things out using the vertical sort template for measures. Sort by one or two dimensions (if you're printing more than one point in Time, always sort by Time in there).

Internally the end result for a Measure level report would be a HOLD file called PASS1; the templates used by Analysis Designer then reports off it.

Or you could simply go lower down and run the extract using pmf_booklet_data. This way you can write yourself a nice compact FOCEXEC that doesn't go through any unnecessary formatting steps until you're ready to format your output.

Have a look at the PMF Developer's Guide for more details. There are entire chapters on these internals of PMF. They will stand you in good stead, and will provide far more detail than can be typed into this annoying FocalPoint text box ;-)

enjoy
bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!