Focal Point
[Closed] - Graph Display

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1461084022/m/2037016586

February 21, 2017, 04:44 PM
Jasen
[Closed] - Graph Display
I have noticed that the time graph uses the line as the actual amount and the bar to show the target. The dimension breakout graph uses the bar to display actual and the line to show target.

Is there a graph that I haven't noticed that displays these the same way? This can be very confusing to people when looking at graphs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jasen,

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output
February 21, 2017, 05:01 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
The charts are labelled to clue you in.

VALUE bars show the ACTUAL value on the bar. The line would be target.
PERCENT bars should the PERCENT REACHED (relationship of actual to target, not the target) on the bar.

If you took two VALUE BAR charts they'd show things in the same way the values on the bars.

There's usually both versions of each chart, so pick two of the same type (VALUE) to get what you want.

Hope this helps

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

February 21, 2017, 10:03 PM
Jasen
I only see four bar graphs in the gadgets. Two have the date on the bottom and both have the target as the bar. The other two have the dimension on the bottom and both show the actual value as the bar.

Time graphs
HTML5 - Metric Value Trend Bars
HTML5 - Metric Perf. Trend Bars

Dimension Graphs
HTML5 - Metric Dim. Breakout Value Bars
HTML5 - Metric Dim. Breakout Perf. Bars

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output
February 22, 2017, 09:33 AM
Bob Jude Ferrante
OK, I'll show you something interesting.

You can go to any existing gadget and clone it. Use Save As on the gadget to create a copy, and give it a new name in the pop-up.
On the clone, you can change the internal data type - the value series from PMF - that is sent to the gadget for the bar.
You'll find that under Display.
So you can have the bars display any type you want - actual value, target value, percent reached.

Try it and let me know if this lets you get what you want.

We recommend you name your personalized gadgets with some sort of eyecatcher - for example, your company name - at the start, so you can see your custom ones all in the list.

Most of the time you can also do things like add filters. If you do that, make sure you don't filter on both a strategy object and a measure, or you will run into confusing stuff. Generally you want to filter on only one of those types of things.

Chances are good you should not touch the groupings - the visual organization of the chart is usually conformed to a particular set of groupings and the display of the chart could become nonsensical if you change the groupings.

Hope this info helps.

We should probably do a video about this. It's not too hard to do and if it makes people get what they need, GREAT.

thanks!

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

February 22, 2017, 01:27 PM
Jasen
I was able to get what I needed. Not sure it was the way you were telling me though.

I think you wanted me to change the display value in the dropdown, which was set to actual and value. So no matter how I changed this value the graph did not change. So I went to Content Display and switched to gadget_gph_pdim01. This switched the values for the bar and line to the way I wanted.

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output
February 22, 2017, 01:44 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
I was recommending you make a copies (using the save as button on the gadget designer) and play with the copies.

From experience, you probably do not want to reconfigure the factory gadget configuration like that.

I would guess that if you changed the procedure, though, you might get unintended consequences.

The procedures are designed to accept the Display type as a parameter. The Display type controls that data they show.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

February 22, 2017, 05:09 PM
Jasen
I did use save as and create a new graph.

WebFocus 8.002
PMF 8.2.3
Windows, all output