Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    [solved] EDASERVE crash when running reports from PMF MRE Domain

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[solved] EDASERVE crash when running reports from PMF MRE Domain
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

We just migrated from a Unix box to a windows machine, and everything went very well. Initial impressions were that WebFOCUS and PMF are working flawlessly. The WebFOCUS environment is freshly installed and will likely only be used for PMF.

First sign of trouble noticed when I tried adding a WebFOCUS report to a new tab on the PMF Administrator BID view. I was able to add the calling fex to launch the report, but clicking on the tab inside PMF would give this error:

Unknown error occurred. Agent on reporting server EDASERVE may have crashed. Please investigate reporting server log.

Taking PMF out of the equation, I tried running the calling fex in the MRE directly, and received the same message. I decided to simplify things and tried running this report:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
BY TYPE
END

It would give me the same message every time I ran the report inside the PMF MRE folder. Since this was a fresh install, the only other folder we had was the default domain. I created a standard reports group in that domain, and tried running the CAR report. Shockingly, it worked fine. It also works well in a brand new domain. The only domain it will not run from is the PMF domain.

Have you ever seen this before?

Cheers,

Joey
WF 7.6.8 on Windows 2003 Server
PMF 5.1.3 (latest release, 3 levels of time)
Oracle 10g
Tomcat App Server, IIS Web Server

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moogle,

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi again,

We backed up the contents of the PMF domain, deleted it, recreated it, copied back the contents of the original PMF domain.

Now the reports work fine, and PMF runs the Today tab without any problems.

I believe the internal PMF domain name is different than the one created during install. Right now if I right-click and get the properties of the PMF domain it says:

#pmfa2lgfhk0y

So, is this going to be a problem? It all seems to work, buy my experience with MRE domains tells me that a lot of times that internal domain name is referenced when calling MRE fexes. Is there anything I should try in PMF to see if everything is okay?

If the new internal PMF domain name is not a problem, then I will consider this issue to be closed.

Please let me know,

Joey

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The new name will only cause a problem during your next upgrade - you'll have two PMF domains. The domain folder for PMF is normally called "PMF." If you use the MRE tools to create a domain, and provide a long name, the tools make up a random name for the folder.

Referencing your initial issue. Not sure how you migrated the PMF domain. If you followed best practices for MRE migration that should have gone flawlessly. Check with customer support to get the docs on migration best practices, if you don't have them. If you followed them and got bad results, that'd be a WebFOCUS MRE issue and you might want to open a case for WebFOCUS. Up to you of course.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Moogle did you use the mrmigrate facility for the domains. I know the facility works when moving environments. The only concern I could see with mrmigrate would be the change in OS.

Contact me I did something similar at an Airline.

-PMF 5.1.2
-WebFOCUS 7.6.9 on Windows 2003 Server
-MSSQL Server

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi again,

There's been some movement on this issue:

First, I probably shouldn't have said migrate in the initial post. We did a full fresh install on the windows server of webfocus and then PMF. The only migration that happened was when we connected to the old pmf datamart and it asked if we wanted to migrate from 5.1.2 to 5.1.3. The MRE folders were never migrated, only the pmf_custom folder and our metadata was copied from the unix app folders to the windows app folders.

I entered a case and Barry, the friendly tech support agent, directed me towards some answers.

In the site.wfs file (webfocus admin console | configuration | custom settings) there is this code:

# Edited by PMF install - to filter on Scorecard value.

<IF> IBIMR_domain EQ "pmf/pmf.htm"

_site_profile = -INCLUDE FILTERS

IBIF_wfdescribe = OFF

<ENDIF>

# End PMF Install edits

This explains why the error was only happening in the pmf domain, and why it would happen again if we deleted and recreated the domain. It also points this issue back to this pmf forum for further help.

So, what in FILTERS.FEX is causing the crash. My first thought is that even though I have mainstreet in my path, shouldn't it say -MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE FILTERS instead of -INCLUDE FILTERS?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Joey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moogle,

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi,

-MRNOEDIT is not required since the FILTERS FOCEXEC is not being processed through MRE, it's going right through the client. This is proper syntax and works at every site.

If your server version is 7.6.5 as listed in your forum post footing, note that the declared minimum version for 5.1.2 and 5.1.3 is 7.6.7, but it is doubtful this is the reason for the server crash.

Please get a trace to central programming to determine why you are crashing. It's the server that's dumping so you should get that over to customer support for the server; in any event the server should never crash but if there is something wrong should issue an error message.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

I thought that if something is called from the MRE, even if it lives on the app server, it gets 'sucked in' and executes as if it was in the MRE. I fully accept that I will always have more to learn.

We're running 7.6.8, it was John's footing that said 7.6.5.

I'll turn on MRE tracing and send it off to tech support.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers,

Joey

Master
posted Hide Post
Sorry I was not more specific. What you will need is TSCOM tracing for the crashed agent.

Good luck!

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
This was solved by unchecking 'prompt for parameters' on the fex I created.

Over and above all that, we decided to create a PMF_CUSTOM MRE domain, and add it to our PMF groups (admin, consumer, ETC). Now all our external-to-PMF MRE fexes will live in there, and everything will be fine and dandy.