Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Monitoring Usage of PMF.
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Monitoring Usage of PMF.
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Customer is inquiring about PMF usage. What is the best way to do this? Is Resource Analyzer the way to go? Is their anything in PMF that tells of usage?

Any ideas? opinions? experiences? please share

Merci

-PMF 5.1.2
-WebFOCUS 7.6.9 on Windows 2003 Server
-MSSQL Server

Master
posted Hide Post
What specifically do you mean by "usage?" Whether people are using PMF, or the load on the environment?

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
People using PMF .
Merci

-PMF 5.1.2
-MSSQL Server

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
They want to track which measure is being displayed..

-PMF 5.1.2
-MSSQL Server

Master
posted Hide Post
Only way to do this would be to turn on resource analyzer and filter requests to the record detail. MEASURE_SERIES_NAME is the field that contains the measure name.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
A couple of questions concerning monitoring

1. Is their a fex that determines when a user logs on to PMF ?

2. How would I go about extracting user information , in terms of userid and the scorecard they are associated to?

Merci.

-PMF 5.1.2
-MSSQL Server

Master
posted Hide Post
PMF is totally non-persistent. No application process runs on the server unless a user makes a request.

There are two FOCEXECs that always run when you run PMF:

showtody.fex runs when a user logs on and displays the Today page (this FOCEXEC must be run when a user logs on - that's why the Today page is always the leftmost).

filters.fex runs every time the server is called.

From either of these you could put in code to write tracing information to a file. Note that you would want to write that file to a secure location since it might contain things like user IDs. Which file you used would depend on how frequently you wanted to monitor user activity. And of course this is WebFOCUS so you could do things any way you like.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Master
posted Hide Post
Users are their scorecard associations are stored in several files. PMF does put the default scorecard and user ID in the cookie during showtody.fex processing. It's not clear what you're looking for. If you want to know every scorecard a user can access, when do you want to know it? If you have Functional Security set to Scorecard (S) mode, which is the default, users are enabled via the Scorecard access panel, and of course anyone with an Admin Functional Role that allows Admin access to Scorecards can see all Scorecards.

If you have Functional Security set to General(G) mode, every user has a default Scorecard, and they can also see any shared Scorecards, and of course anyone with an Admin Functional Role that allows Admin access to Scorecards can see all Scorecards.

By the way, showtody.fex is in the MRE app folder for PMF. It is not in mainstreet.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Merci et bonne fin de semaine !

-PMF 5.1.2
-MSSQL Server

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

I am having to create a similar type of report. I was able to get the data from a Resource Analyzer table. Just PRINTing the records sorted by user, often the users they have 2 records with the exact same run date and time. Why would this occur?

Thank you.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11, Linux, HTML, PDF, AHTML, EXCEL

Posts: 100 | Registered: September 15, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Unknown. Artifact of RA probably. I'd check with the PMs for RA, not being an RA person myself.

Note that if you're running WebFOCUS 7.6 RA will use up a lot of resources on your server when running PMF and could affect performance. RA is a fairly brute force way to monitor users; it looks at every DB query that's performed. Since PMF queries are pre-tuned and prevent large data volumes from being downloaded, there's little gain from that level of introspection. But it's your system and you can do what you like with it.

Tip: For a more lightweight way to check on user logins if you're doing SSO - trying passing the login request through a little PHP monitor log program. You can report on the resulting XML using WebFOCUS.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This PMF data is refreshed each time a person logs onto PMF or does something in PMF, correct? Just want to be sure, because it appears that either it's not being refreshed or Resource Analzer somehow stopped capturing the data.

Thank you.

Master
posted Hide Post
Data is not necessarily refreshed in PMF unless a user changes something.

- User prefs on dashboards (Today tab)
- Adding Feedback or creating or updating Tasks
- Creating and defining Saved content in Analysis Designer
- Alerts getting fired
- Schedule This and Alert Wizard
- And of course, any changes made in any panel on Author, Strategy or Manage tab

Tried to be pretty comprehensive here - that seems to be it but might have left something out.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob. As always, you are a great help and very much appreciated.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bob, I was given a request to get counts of how many times a gadget is used and by whom.

What is the best way to go about this? Do I need to track this similar to the way we track how many times the showtody.fex is executed? The concern I have with this approach is that everytime a new gadget is created, this gadget tracking focexec would need to be updated. I would like to be able to create one focexec for this task that would not need this type of maintenance.

Thank you.