Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Weighting a Dimension values

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Weighting a Dimension values
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Good folks,

It's been a while (unfortunately) and I think I know the answer I just want some confirmation.

Within the 5.2.x and below versions of PMF, there is no way to weight the score/value/count of one specific dimension VLAUE over another.
Say Region=East is to be given more weight Region=West when rolling up a measure to Division.

I don't think this can be done.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Greg

current client: WF 8.1.05 & 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 7 - MRE / BID - IE11

local: WF 8.2 - Windows 7 64bit - Tomcat 6 - MRE / BID - FOCUS - IE11

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
That feature's been in PMF since 4.5 and - we think - unused since then (certainly nobody has mentioned it). In 4.5 you had to turn on a setting to show it; now we just always leave that switch on, hoping someone decides to use it.

What are you trying to do with it?

=b

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob, for your reply.

Initially I was trying to answer a question posed to me.

Now I'm curious how this is implemented?

Can you direct me on the setting up this feature?

Thanks.

Greg

PMF 8

Posts: 274 | Location: Boston/New England | Registered: February 12, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Around page 294 of the manual (depending on what version you're running)

"Setting Dimensional Measure-to-Objective Weighting"

Bob

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Bob, for your response.

I reviewed the passages on Measure-to-Oblective Weighting.

I think my question still needs improvement.

What I'm trying to understand is:
Can PMF weight a specific value in a measure? eg. Can Region=Boston carry more weight (75%) than Region=Chicago (25%) when rolling up a measure to Division?

Thanks.
Greg

Greg

PMF 8

Master
posted Hide Post
OK let me ask a question then...

Suppose you have a dimension with country and region levels and two regions within the country USA are Boston and Chicago, and we're looking at a Metric called Sales.

If Boston region for the current period says Sales=$100 and Chicago likewise says Sales=$100, are you saying you want the total dollars for Sales at the USA level to add up to $200? Or should they add up to something else? Of course this question is asked because people do want things to add up.

Now, with Dimensional Weighting, you do have the ability to change the priority of the metric contribution at the next level up - the goal/risk level. You can have different Dimension level values separately weighting to the higher-level stuff in the PMF model.

Also, with Dimensional Tolerances you can set the H-M-L tolerances differently, so that although the values don't change, the expected tolerance to lower performing values (which depend on the directionality of the metric) can vary.

Hope this logic path makes sense... now please give us examples of what you expect.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
The idea was that if Region Boston had $100 and Region Chicago had $100 in Sales, then when these are rolled up with a weight on specific regions where Boston's weight is 75% and Chicago is 25% that the Boston value would be multiplied by 125% and Chicago by 75% to get to a total of $200.

As I write this I don't see how this can be done. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Greg

PMF 8

Master
posted Hide Post
You are right. Plus I'm not sure how you'd possibly show what you're trying to show in any sense in any system... Once you aggregate the data on a report, the data is already summed, yea? You still want it to be $200, at that level you're looking at country, not region any more. And when you drill down you still want to see both regions with $100, yea?

If that's not the case, and you want to scale the data, you can do it before the load. Apply a scaling factor to the data inbound. Or if you want to weight it, use the weighting features at the objective/risk level.

If you need something else, we got to figure out what that is...

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
This is as I thought. Thanks, Bob.
You've answered my curiosity. If/when I get more interest I may have some follow-up. For now this is what I wanted to understand.

PMF continues to rock and so does the support!

Greg

PMF 8

Master
posted Hide Post
We're blushing. All of us. :-)

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
Ok, so here's an update to this challenge.

I have an Objective that has weighted measures that roll-up to it. The measures are not eually weighted.

When I run a Analysis Designer report using Objective Across Dimension I can only choose a PCTRCH field, no values. These measures are Ratios.

My client wants to see the Actual, Target and Stretch values across month at the Obj level using the weighting at the measure level when rolling them up.

Makes sense?
Any one have a suggestion on how to get there?

I'm thinking of pulling the Act, Trgt and Strch and weighting and doing the calc myself but I'm hoping there is better 'PMF' way that is available out-of-the-box.

Let me know what you think.

IS.

Greg

PMF 8

Master
posted Hide Post
At the Objective level, many measures can be combined.

Does $1,000,000.00 + 323 production line defects + 17 jobsite accidents = 1,000,340.00 dollar.defect.accidents?

No, right?

So we abstract them by their performance. Hence the Percent Reached is the only thing that can be aggregated, and that is all that is aggregated.

However, you can sort a Measure report BY objective in analysis designer.

You can get dimensionally aggregated metrics broken out in Scorecard order. You can sort across objectives, or across metrics, or across dimensions. One of these is probably what they want.

When you show it to them they'll like it.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105