Focal Point
Order of dimensions on mutlidrill menu

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1461084022/m/342104582

November 05, 2009, 10:04 AM
Rob North
Order of dimensions on mutlidrill menu
How is the sort order of the dimensions on the multidrill menu controlled? It appears to be based on the DIMENSION_NUMBER in the dimensions_type table. Is this true? Is so, how is the value of DIMENSION_NUMBER set? It appears to be the order in which the dimensions were created, which, if true, leads to a pretty random drillmenu sort order from the user's prespective.

WF 76x, 77x, PMF 52x, 53x
November 05, 2009, 01:09 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
Note that each measure can have its own special dimension linkage and order. For any single measure name listed on a view, the first linked dimension is the default and once that is exhausted (drilled to the lowest level) the next one pertains.

For multiple measures, you are absolutely right, they're listed in the order they were created. In other words in serial order. No other logical order has even been significant to customers to date; e.g., nobody's ever had a problem with the order, but if this is a real high-priority issue for someone a feature could be created.

Does the order matter at your site? What's the business case for why? We're interested.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

November 24, 2009, 03:10 PM
Rob North
I was just thinking that alphabetical order would be better than dimension number order. It takes a little longer to find the one you want, especially if you have more than a few. I guess one could create them in alphabetical order as long as no new ones are added.

WF 76x, 77x, PMF 52x, 53x
November 24, 2009, 04:46 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
OK, thanks Rob. So the feedback so far is:

For a single measure views, the order should be that specified in the measure's dimension linkage.
For multi-measure views, use alpha order, not dimension numeric order.

However, please note: We find that Time is the most frequently drilled Dimension, though. Putting it in alpha order moves it down. Would you like Time to stay on top?

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

March 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Janice
Our client has asked that the multi select box have up and down arrows so they can control the order that the measures are displayed. Has there been any enhancements to this in the latest release?

WF 8.09
March 12, 2010, 01:00 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
No, that was not changed in 5.2.1, the latest, current release. 5.2.1 was in final Beta when the feature was requested, so the request came in too late.

If you formally want a new feature, please contact customer support and open a NF case. Commitments are not made in the forum (except in that we are committed to answering each others' questions).

thanks
bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105