Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    reload dimensions each measure refresh or load entire dimension with no records?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
reload dimensions each measure refresh or load entire dimension with no records?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

I have a dimension that is a four level grouping of product styles (retail industy). About half the styles at level four have associated measure records, but the other half does not. The styles get created but don't always get ordered and sent to the stores. Some times they might create styles ahead of time, but there could be a delay of several months before the item gets to the stores and becomes available for sale.

So, the question is... should I load my dimension with all possible styles, even if they don't have associated records? Or, should I load only the styles that have measure records attached, but make sure I am refreshing the dimension every time I update my measures (weekly refresh at the moment).

We already have some performance issues we are working through, so I am wary of doubling my dimension size. I am curious about how this sort of thing is generally handled. Are some dimensions so tied to measures that they get reloaded each refresh cycle?

Cheers,

Joey

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
My personal preference is to have only dimesion records in the system that actually has one or more children in the measure tables. So...
---------------
If you reload all the measures (full refresh) and reload the dimension (also full refresh) than I would distinct inner join the incoming fact/measure records with the incoming dimension records. The outcome would be the only records for the dimension load.
--
If you append the new measures, then I would also append the new dimension records that are not in the orginal set but the dimension keys are in the new measure file.
--
--
Little secret of PMF that would help identifying if you loaded Measures but you have missed dimension records.

When the measure load runs, PMF joins the Measure source data file to the Dimension source data file(s). The measure loader then compares this against the PMF database. This way, if you forgot the run a Dimension load or if some Dimension data in PMF were altered or deleted, it would show up as a discrepancy in the load Preview. Cool isn't it?

Endre

WebFocus 7.6.8
iWay Data Migrator 7.6.8
PMF 5.1