Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How Do I... ?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Is there something you'd like to do in PMF? Well, we're the ones who wrote it. We can point you to doc, give tips and advice, and in general make your work in PMF more productive and fun. So write to us!

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

posted Hide Post
When drilling into the Time dimension, the drop-down for dimensions is reconstructed. In other words, it takes into consideration that you are already within the Time dimension and therefore does not offer it as a choice (which would be redundant). None of the other dimensions work this way. Therefore, when you drill into Location, on the next screen there is an option to drill into Location. Very confusing.

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi... just FYI, it does work the same way as time for all the dimensions... you can continue to drill into Location until you get to the bottom. It just so happened you got to the bottom of the time dimension. You can drill down on location repeatedly until you hit the last level. Then it will drop off the menu.

Hope that makes it clearer.

sorry if it's confusing. Right now you do see the level you're at on the heading of the column, and the drill path you've taken in the breadcrumbs at the bottom. Maybe in the future we could look into adding the next level name you can drill to in that dimension right on the menu.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter how many times I drill into the dimension (other than time), it never drops off of the possible selections

Master
posted Hide Post
Bridgette, I'm basing my comments above on PMF Release 3. I believe you're using Release 2 (e.g., 2.6a); there, the behavior is as you say.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

posted Hide Post
Are there any books, etc. on format for writing code in PMF (filters, measures). If so , please direct me to the location of this information.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Jude Ferrante:
Is there something you'd like to do in PMF? Well, we're the ones who wrote it. We can point you to doc, give tips and advice, and in general make your work in PMF more productive and fun. So write to us!

posted Hide Post
I have the following table:
Unit - ID - How Many
TPS E01 2500
TPS E02 897
TPS K12 5699
TPS K23 9087
How do I code the measure loader filter to say ID can be E01 or E02? I am using PMF version 2.?

Master
posted Hide Post
PMF Code is WebFOCUS code. I know that sounds like a mantra, but it's actually just true.

PMF sets up a lot of things for you so you don't have to manually create them yourself in WebFOCUS. For example, if you want to calculate percent reached toward a goal for a metric where the target and tolerances are soft, and the metric can be ascending or descending, PMF makes it easy to do that - just use the PCT_REACHED column. If you want to draw a red, yellow or green indicator next to that, PMF makes that easy too.

And the PMF code is pretty well-documented. So if you read through it, and you have some familiarity with working in WebFOCUS, you'll get a handle on it fast.

There's also complete on-line and printable doc with PMF - to see it, you can just click the PMF Help link on the top right of the Dashboard. You can also download the full doc from IBI's iBase download site.

But... there aren't books out about the PMF code itself, and about how to change or customize it... mostly because most customers using PMF are using it "out of the box" without making any real changes or customizations to it.

With all that said, I guess if you have specific questions about how to do something, we could try to answer them here. Are you looking to change an existing PMF report? What changes do you need to make? If we approach this on the basis of how to do something specific, it's easier to address.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Jude Ferrante,

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Master
posted Hide Post
Aha...

Assuming you're using 2.6a or higher and not 2.5...

On the Measure Loader there is a tab "Filters."

You'd create two new filters (click Add Filter Below until you have two filter lines).

Filter Name - FILT01, Source - field, Field - Unit, Operator - EQ, Value - 'E01'
Filter Name - FILT02, Source - field, Field - Unit, Operator - EQ, Value - 'E02'

That would do it.

Hope this helps.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

posted Hide Post
When using the "code" option on filter; apparently it doesn't recognize the field name using the expression format that you gave:
((Unit EQ 'E01') OR (Unit EQ 'E02')) .......my field name is "MeasureID" which error's saying "MeasureID" is unrecognized - yet, this field shows up on the Field Maps tab for drop-down box of field.

posted Hide Post
When I tried using the Field option on filter and entered 'E01' OR 'E02' .... it seems to work. My only problem with this is the fact that I have several unit values and the value box only allows so many characters ..... solution?

Master
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a limit of 50 characters for the expression if you use the single filter UI method.

However, you can do the following:

Select CODE in the dropdown

Enter code like this - assuming the fieldname really is "UNIT":
WHERE (UNIT EQ 'E01') 
OR (UNIT EQ 'E02') 
OR (UNIT EQ 'E03') 
OR (UNIT EQ 'E04') 
OR (UNIT EQ 'E05')
OR (UNIT EQ 'E06')

etc.

You can enter up to 1K characters in this WHERE expression.
This can handle pretty much whatever you want to throw at it.

Tips:
1. Always check the master file for the source data before proceeding.

2. If the source field is a really huge padded text field (e.g., a 1024 field) you might want to issue a DEFINE in the Prefix Code box to create a virtual field that clips the field down to the actual size you want to filter on, then filter on the clipped field.
DEFINE FILE [mymaster] ADD
MY_FLD/A20 = EDIT(MY_REALLY_BIG_FIELD, '99999999999999999999');
END

3. Use ADD to *append* the new DEFINE so any existing DEFINES on the master are preserved.

thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Jude Ferrante,

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

posted Hide Post
Your last post helped out. Thanks. I have another question, but I'll start a new post....