Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Possible to copy objective and measure alignment from one SC to another?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Possible to copy objective and measure alignment from one SC to another?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi Team,

I know you won't like this question, but hear me out.

I have two parent scorecards and 20 child scorecards (10 for each parent). I made the child scorecards a while ago, and at the time I cascaded the setup from the parent to the children. Now, there's been some changes to the parent scorecard measure to objective alignment, and I wonder... is there a way to re-cascade them? I see nothing through the GUI, but is there a FEX or a SQL update string I can run? It would save me hours.

I'd delete the kids and re-create them, except I've already set dashboard prefs for each, and that'd be even more time-consuming.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Joey

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Cascading is a one-time copy operation. There's no way to re-copy changes from the parent back down to the children unless you just recreate them.

B

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Joey,

I'm curious as to why you would need all these extra Scorecards if they're using the same underlying Objectives & Measures.

Eric

P.S. - We liked the question. Smiler

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

Here's the story:

Each child scorecard is filtered for a different dimension value. Depending on the dimension filter, the setup of the single dashboard will vary. For instance, if Dimension_01 is filtered by 'Value_X' then the top left line chart must show Measure_A. If Dimension_01 is filtered by 'Value_Y' then the top left line chart must show Measure_B. I do not think this would be possible without so many child scorecards.

Users will be defaulted to a scorecard that is filtered to the way that they are used to viewing information.

Cheers,

Joey

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Just a question.
Why not use the same scorecard but put the filtering at the Owner level or use Access Roles?

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

I wonder if you can see a way to incorporate various dashboard preferences based on user/access roles, as described above?

I've very open to this concept, but it seems to me that I would not be able to do what I described above without child scorecards.

Cheers,

Joey

Master
posted Hide Post
So you're letting the scorecard control the access, not the user. The limitation there is if the parent changes you have to manually propagate those changes down to the kids.

The question is, will the strategy map of the child always exactly match the strategy map of the parent? And will the measures linked to each objective or risk always match up? If so there's probably a way to customize a copy function...

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

The child scorecard's measures to objectives/risks will always match the parent's scorecards.

If you can give me a lead on a way to pull this off in code, I'll run with it.

Cheers,

Joey

Master
posted Hide Post
There's a scorecard clone function in the scorecard panel when you do a New and select a parent (it's labeled "cascade scorecard"). The underlying procedure is called pmf_panel_scrd_update_clone.fex

That procedure creates a new scorecard record, then clones all the components from the scorecard including perspectives, objectives, risks, compounds, all cause/effect linkages, all weights, and all measure linkages to the measure pool.

You could clone and modify the function to do this for an existing scorecard. First you'd have to delete all the existing components, then you could recreate them cloned from the parent. A few small mods to a copy and you'd have the function. You could call it from the console while logged in to PMF or add a button to the UI to "re-cascade from" a parent while in the child.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105