Focal Point
Maximum Text in one Feedback Posting

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1461084022/m/517105093

March 09, 2010, 07:07 PM
Janice
Maximum Text in one Feedback Posting
Is there a max number of characters that a user can enter in one feedback comment? Our customer entered "This is a test" to a total of 344 words and received a fatal program error: Error S01_A in pmf_feedback_update, FOCERRNUM:22 Input: 0

Let me know if I need to open a case.

Release 5.1.3 .. Oracle

Thanks.

WF 8.09
March 09, 2010, 09:30 PM
Bob Jude Ferrante
1024 characters, as it says on page 105 of the PMF documentation, under "how to add feedback." There, we looked it up for you. Next time maybe you can look it up.

In the past 4 years, since feedback was first done, it's worked this way; and a user typically enters 10-30 words, maybe 40 if it's to be a particularly long comment. Maybe 200-250 characters. Typing "this is a test" 81 times is pushing the limit (you typed in 1134 characters, exactly 110 over the limit). And true, you've discovered that if you go over this limit that people don't really go over in actual use, you will get an error message that doesn't tell you much. Focerrnum 22.

Sure, open a case on it if you like. It would be nice if the panel didn't let you go over the limit, maybe even told you how many characters you had left, and then stopping you before you typed in 1025 characters.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

March 10, 2010, 07:16 AM
Janice
Yes, it would be helpful to not allow more than 1024 characters to be entered into the box. I will open a new feature request. Also, in the documentation snapshot, there is no Back button. Our version has a Back button between the sort by and the feedback history. What is the purpose of this button?

WF 8.09
March 10, 2010, 08:12 AM
Bob Jude Ferrante
If feedback is displayed in a gadget block or if you have pop-up mode set to SAME in 5.1.2, then the back button helps you get back to the place where you drilled to feedback from. That's its purpose.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!