Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Security and the Author Level

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Security and the Author Level
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
My apologies in advance if this has been answered on the forum or in the user guide, but my searches were unsuccessful.

If a user is given Author status I understand that they then see the Author & Strategy Tabs. My questions are regarding their authority to create and edit measure information.

Can an Author edit any existing measure metadata information if they have Editor access to the scorecard? Or, can they only edit the measure records for which they are identified as the owner in the Owner ID field?

Also, can an author create new measures for any scorecard they have Editor access?

Finally, in my system settings I have the Access Security code set to "O". If it should be set to "G" or "S" I'm open to suggestions.

I would like to have the system behave so that if a user is given Editor access and is an Author, then they have the ability to create and edit any measure metadata on the respective scorecards for which they have been labeled as Editors.

Thanks very much in advance.

PMF 5.1.1

Master
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about the WebFOCUS Portal (formerly known as BID) then tabs are not made visible by the role in PMF, but rather by the MR Group the user is in.

Generally you want the MR Group and the PMF role to correspond. When you import a user from MR it imports the Group and maps it to the Role. But your mileage can vary if you are setting up your own MR groups for PMF and the corresponding roles, or if you're changing MR Group for a user after the fact.

What the Author role can do is determine in Functional Roles, where Author's rights are determined. Definitely have a look at the PMF administration Guide starting on pg 246.

Access to creating Measures is a separate security object than access to creating Scorecards and their components, by design. You might have scorecard only users and measure only users or any combination thereof. It shoudl be pretty obvious what you can control and how you can control it when you look at Manage > Functional Roles.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob, you got me 90% there, but the two users who I have set up as Authors are not seeing the buttons in the Author tab to create new scorecards, or to create measures. They can edit either if an Administrator creates them, regardless of who the owner is. Both users have Editor access at the Scorecard Security level.

I would like Authors to be able to create scorecards, and create measures.

I reviewed my Functional Role for Author and here are my current parameters:

Scorecard Objects - Admin (if Owner)else Editor
Security Settings - Viewer
Dimensions - Viewer
Meas. Loads & Meta. - Admin (if Owner)else Editor
Gadgets - Admin
Tasks - Admin
Proceses - Admin
Projects - Admin
Systems Obj. & Settings - Viewer
Actuals - Editor
Targets - Editor
Benchmarks - Editor
Forecasts - Editor
Stretches - Editor

Any suggestions greatly appreciated as to what modifications will provide a solution.

Thanks in advance.

PMF 5.1.1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsp_lbf,

Master
posted Hide Post
Only Admin can create something new, and then assign someone as Admin. Give your authors Admin access to scorecards if they need to be able to create them.

Admin (if Owner) else Editor can't create new scorecards because you can only *own* something once it already exists.

Likewise, you can't create a Measure unless you're a measure admin.

A creator is also a destroyer. That makes you a full admin. If you think about it that way it makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob. I can live with the fact that Authors as the system is designed can't create scorecards, I can live with that as it is an infrequent process.

But I want owership of measure creation to be out of the admin function and assigned to the users in the various business units. However I don't want those users to be full administrators or to be able to access the Manage tab.

Is there some hybrid between Admin & Author I can create which would give selected users the ability to create measures but not be able to change system settings located in Manage?

Thanks again.

PMF 5.1.1

Master
posted Hide Post
There's a difference between giving someone full admin rights to an object and changing their role to Administrator.

I'm asking you to do the former. Not asking you to make them admins, not to change their role, not to change their group view and thus not to display the manage tab.

Give the Author role Admin rights to Measures and to Scorecards and keep them as Authors in the system. The actual rights for each role are determined by you. Your needs require you to change from the defaults as shipped.

thanks
bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105