Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    Possible to export & import a dashboard design?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Possible to export & import a dashboard design?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi Team,

Here's my question:

Is it possible to export / extract dashboard designs (public and private) and then import them into a different PMF environment?

Here's why I'm asking:

This has to do with release / change management. Say we have a Dev and a Prod environment. We do work in Dev, such as setup new Measures and Dimensions. When the time comes to deploy to Prod, we don't want to re-key all our work, so we do a backup of Dev and Restore it on top of Prod. This moves all our changes over from Dev, but would over-write any dashboards that were created in Prod.

So, I think I need a way to save all the dashboards in Prod. Then, I could deploy the entire pmf_datamart from Dev onto Prod and then import the saved dashboards. That would be perfect deployment, although there's still the matter of re-synchronizing MRE users.

Please advise.

Cheers,

Joey

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
We have a plan to make entire dashboards exportable, but this isn't built yet. It won't get built this year.

Overall there are requests coming from customers to allow various discrete elements to be exportable. This would get included in that overall project. It's a big project though and won't see the light of day until the next MAJOR release cycle.

Not that great of an answer; however if you think it through, it's a real toughy to solve, since an exported dashboard design might include gadgets that aren't in the target system either; and you don't want to unintentionally clone existing gadgets that might already be in the target system, either. In some ways this is similar to the problem of exporting scorecards and metrics - there are child dependencies.

So for now, the answer is you take all the dashboards in when you do a snapshot restore from the pervious system in the chain into the target system (e.g. dev/QA/prod). You get everything - the metrics, the scorecards, the dashboards, the gadgets.

Anything more granular depends on a bunch of work we still have to do. We know you want it. We're looking at it. But it's not a quick fix.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Bob,
As we are (very) newbies re PMF, this is one of the questions that we are being asked right now , i.e. control of deployment through environments.
Was this facility (that was mentioned 4 years ago) ever developed and released? If so, where can i find it, and is there any doc related to it that i can read ?

WF 8005 MRE BID RCaster DevStu PMF 5.3.1 Hotfix 5
XP Oracle.

Posts: 55 | Location: UK-London | Registered: January 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Profile Updated to reflect correct WF Release.

WF 8005 MRE BID RCaster DevStu PMF 5.3.1 Hotfix 5
XP Oracle.

Posts: 55 | Location: UK-London | Registered: January 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Stuey, Have a look at the Take a Snapshot option under Manage Tab, DataMart. Once done copy snapshot file to new box and the Restore a Snapshot. Might be of use.

Posts: 196 | Location: London, UK | Registered: December 06, 2005Report This Post