Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
focexecs for gadgets
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
When a gadget is created, how do you determine what the focexec is that generates the report or graph -- what is the name of the focexec and which application is it in?

Thank you.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11, Linux, HTML, PDF, AHTML, EXCEL

Posts: 100 | Registered: September 15, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
are you creating gadgets or consuming them?

if you're creating them you have to set up a gadget definition to point to your procedure. you do this on the manage tab.

if you're consuming them but have access to the manage tab, you can check the name of the focexec by looking at the gadget's definition.

if you only can view the dashboard, you can do View Source and see in the WebFOCUS trace (comments below the closing HTML tag) the name of the procedure that ran

Note that if the gadget is a Flex or Web content gadget, it's not processes as a focexec nor does it have to involve one. Only the PMF Gadget, WebFOCUS procedure and WebFOCUS MR procedure gadgets are based on FOCUS.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I may be requested to run some of these gadget focexecs outside of PMF. With all the -INCLUDEs, -SET's, etc. in these focexecs, is this is this a doable task, or would it require a lot of additional coding or other work to get these focexecs to run standalone?

Thank you.

Master
posted Hide Post
What is the specific context in which they'd need to be run? If it's just, for example, for scheduling via Caster, you can do this directly from within PMF or have the end user set up the parameters they like and do a "schedule this" right from within the report.

Background: There is a whole environment being set up of SETs and other values, and PMF always checks a user's logon ID - you want to make sure the person for whom the report is being run has the right to see the data it show, and PMF's row level security is the safest way to ensure that.

Also, PMF manages the settings for the users at a user level, and these settings are stored in the PMF data mart. All that is automatically handled when the reports are launched in the Dashboard or in other contexts in PMF. There is probably a way to launch the content from "within PMF" no matter what you're trying to do. And don't confuse the BID with PMF - PMF runs in many other portals, etc. You can run PMF content when logged in as a user in MR, as well, for example.

To get content, users have to always be logged on to PMF's MR domain. Have a look at the PMF Developer Guide for more information on how this all works together (see the related post on "Support Books Available for your use").

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Bob, I have not been able to find the gadget's definition on the manage tab. I'm consuming them and have access to the manage tab. I've tried going through all the menus on the left side. Evidently, I'm not finding the defintion for the gadgets I'm interested in.

I've gotten to the Gadget Definition folder, but don't see any definitions that have a preview that match the gadgets on the Today tab.

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JBK,

Master
posted Hide Post
Under the Dashboards button on the Manage tab, there are three trees. One for public Dashboards, one for private Dashboards, the third for Gadget Definitions. You want the tree for *Gadget Definitions*.

In the tree, click on a Gadget Name. A panel comes up with informaiton about the Gadget. If it's got Content Type of WebFOCUS report, Gadget FOCEXEC or MR type Gadget, the procedure name is in the Content Display dropdown. That's the name of the procedure (or for MR the friendly name of the MR procedure).

If it's a Flex type gadget, what you'll see in the dropdown is all the SWF files in your path with the one selected as the one that gets run.

If it's a Web type gadget, you'll see the URL there.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That was helpful, bob. I see I've been looking in the right place. where I'm getting stuck, Bob, is how do I know which gadget name in the tree corresponds to a particular gadget on the today page?

Thank you.

Master
posted Hide Post
either in the Today page, click the edit button on the ribbon, or in the manage tab, select the Dashboard in the designer tree, above the gadget tree.

Once the Dashboard loads in the designer, click the gadget. You'll see its name.

In 5.2.2 the names appear even on the today page when you click the gadgets. I'm assuming you have 5.2.1 since you didn't see that.
(oops - wrong - 5.3!)

bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Master
posted Hide Post
Nope I'm wrong. That'll be in 5.3.

bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This has been very helpful! Thank you.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Okay, the next thing is how can I determine what is being pass to the focexec to filter teh data? If there is a graph gadget that displays a dollar amount on the x-axis and dates on the y-axis, how can I determine what filtering is being done?

I've created simple report focexecs for 4 graph gadgets. The numbers in 3 of the reports match the numbers on their correpsonding graph gadgets, using a SUM field_a BY field_b, with no WHERE's. The numbers in 4th report are completely off. How can I determine what PMF is doing with the data (filtering, etc.) so I can get the report's numbers to match?

Thasnk you.

Master
posted Hide Post
You need the PMF developer guide. See the docs link above.
bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What I'm needing is how PMF translates the filters, which are in English in the drop-down lists, into focus code. Some such as, "Last 5 Months" are easy to understand and I could write the code to that (but why write it if it alerady exists somewhere), whereas other filters I have no idea what they translate to in focus code.

The Administration reports group on teh Analytics tab has som additional helpful info.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JBK,

Master
posted Hide Post
My dear friend,

Honestly, we were serious when we said you need the PMF Developer's Guide.
It will be worth your while to read it and the guide is free. You can't get any cheaper than that.

We'll be brief here because the Guide is very thorough.

All parameters in PMF follow a standard format. This means if you use one of the myriad of gadgets the PMF team built for you, or go into Analysis Designer and design a report (or "view"), or build a gadget, they all use the same conventions for parameterization. As you might imagine, once you understand these conventions, you can do almost anything. What's more there is a tool - normally hiiden in PMF but easy to expose - that lets you see the internal names of the parameters and play with them in various cool ways.

The first three chapters in the Developer Guide give you a thorough exploration of all this. Read and absorb, and lo, you shall indeed gain great wisdom, o sincere seeker.

thanks
bjf

Bob Jude Ferrante
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105