Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Performance Management Framework (PMF)    [Solved] How to Resolve 'Gadget Class Has Changed' Error

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] How to Resolve 'Gadget Class Has Changed' Error
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have created a custom today page with several gadgets, mostly measure gauges. When I invoke my preferences to change my current today page to this view, I am receiving the error "The gadget class has changed, contact the PMF administrator".

My questions are: What causes this to occur?, and how is it resolved?

I know it's not the case, but due to my lack of understanding of the behavior of this piece of the software it appears to happen randomly.

Thank you in advance.

PMF 5.1.1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Jude Ferrante,

Master
posted Hide Post
This means that the parm interface for the gadget(s) differs from what's been configured. We'll try to explain what that means in plain English.

A gadget has a definition (in earlier PMF we called it a "class") which defines the parameters it can prompt for. Parameters are things like "user specified dimension" and "measure" and specifies things like "it can handle multiple selections" or "it only wants one" or "it likes Time to be the outside grouping (grouping = sort with aggregation)." etc. These things are universal - they are the same for that gadget at every site.

A gadget also has a user setting for these parameters. They are site dependent because one site might have a Location dimension and another might have a Geography dimension and no Location dimension. They also will have different scorecards, different measures. Different everything.

So for "user specified dimension" you might have something like "Location" if the site has a Location dimension. These are set up as A) defaults, specific to each scorecard and dashboard as configured at each site. B) User-specific. Users can override the defaults to THEIR preferences.

So the "out of sync" condition means one of two things has happened:

1) You added a new scorecard to the system and didn't set default parms for the gadget. It's not your fault - you're allowed to add them!
Or PMF's. Although PMF can "magically" figure out and configure gadgets to look for available measures, this won't work at the moment you add a new Scorecard. At the time a scorecard is added, there are usually no measures and measure data available for the magical stuff to figure it out. So you have to initiate that process when the scorecard is ready for Magic.

2) Custom Gadgets were reconfigured so the current user-level parm settings and/or default settings as stored for all dashboards and scorecards aren't matching up.
You changed parms for a gadget and didn't "reset all" parms.

In both cases the same remedy applies: use Magic. Magic is PMF's \"reset parms" function, which is available on the dashboard designer (or the "dashboard page designer" if you're using earlier than current PMF). Have a look at "Resetting Dashboard Gadget Default Preferences" in the New Features doc for 5.1, or in the main PMF doc in 5.2. In the second case above, where you actually changed the gadget's parm interface (usually for a custom gadget), additionally you would want to clear any existing user preferences for that gadget, because they might be in the wrong order, etc. In 5.1 this is a bit tedious because you have to go to the Designer for each dashboard, select the new scorecard, and tell it to run Magic. This operation can take 5-10 minutes (that's what we mean by "tedious").

In 5.2.2, this is expanded to let you reset defaults on the scorecard itself, across all dashboards, so it's a one-click operation. When the scorecard has enough data for magic, you can just go to the scorecard in the Author tab and check "reset all parameters" and/or "clear all user preferences" and then Save. One click and it's all done. 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes.

Hope this explains things clearly enough to be useful. Gadgets are rich and do a lot for you but there are still some things you have to do to keep them fed and happy.

thanks

Bob Jude Ferrante
Director of Business and Development
WebFOCUS Performance Management
Bob_Ferrante@ibi.com
917-339-5105

I'll take any questions about PMF - business or technical - anytime!

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob for the thorough explanation, I was able to perform the operation and correct the problem.

PMF 5.1.1